We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum vs. Isla mujeres

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum vs. Isla mujeres

hello all. your expertise would be greatly appreciated. i've been to playa del carmen several times and love the fact that you can just walk everywhere, but want to check out a new destination this time.

i get a sense of isla from researching online, but not so much with tulum. if i stay in tulum town, is the beach within walking distance? it seems like the beaches are accessible only through beach-front hotels. is this assumption right? are the hotels ok with that? are bars/restaurants/shops within walking distance or would i need a car/bike?

on the flip side, it seems like the beachfront hotels are very separated from everything else and that i'd definitely need some mode of transportation to go elsewhere. i like to check things out when i travel, so would hate to feel "trapped" at the hotel. any insight would be great! thanks in advance.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum vs. Isla mujeres

From Tulum town you would need a bike or a bus to get to Tulum beach. There are public beaches. But there are inexpensive places to stay on the beach as well and plenty of restaurants and bars to walk to and explore. I can't imagine feeling "trapped" on the beach at Tulum unless the weather was really, really bad. I

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum vs. Isla mujeres

Tulum Pueblo to the Tulum beaches is probably a good 2 mile stroll..There a fair amount of restaurants in the baech area near the hotels..a car would be helpfull

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum vs. Isla mujeres

Beach accessability is not a problem. People are always checking out different places and many have a bar/restaurant, so they expect people to be wandering around. It costs 60 pesos to take a cab from anywhere on the beach road to Tulum pueblo. Taxis are not a problem to find. Busses and collectivo's run up and down highway 307 to Playa del Carmen, and are frequent and inexpensive. The busses from the terminal in the pueblo go to many places and there is a website somewhere with destinations. The taxi's have fixed rates to many places, and are posted in the pueblo by the taxi stands.

I understand there are some decent places to stay in the pueblo, and the pueblo itself is very enjoyable. Myself, I would, w/o a doubt, stay on the beach. Places can get pricey on the beach, but it is very easy to get a decent place for not much more then you would pay in the pueblo. We enjoy Cabanas Tulum because it is clean, inexpensive, and concrete, so I don't have to worry about critters coming to visit.

We rent a car in Tulum if we feel that we need to explore. Believe me, you will not feel "trapped' staying on the beach. Never stayed in the pueblo.

After staying in Tulum, I found Isla to be a little too busy. Enjoyed Isla, but I don't know if I'll return. I don't know if it's because Tulum was sooo great or if I just grew tired of Isla. Both are very beautiful places.

If I can help you out with questions, feel free to PM me.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum vs. Isla mujeres

I wanted to correct something I stated. There are places to access the beach, w/o cutting thru a hotel area. I'm not reccomending hiking thru where someone is staying and expecting a bit of privacy. It's another thing if you stop for a drink.

NYC
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum vs. Isla mujeres

thanks for all your input! we've decided to start off in isla, and see if we feel motivated to head down to tulum as well.

6. Re: Tulum vs. Isla mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 16:20