We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

The press is saying that 5 resorts are being closed in Tulum. Does anyone know for sure which 5?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,061 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

Here is the article that I read...it only lists one of the names of the Hotels...

…google.com/article/ALeqM5jJOE7cSAyJs8fXwPZB…

ky
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

Not sure if you've gottn an answeryet or not but the five hotels that have been affected are small, ECO hotels, priding themselves on protecting the environment. Some of them have occupied the land for twenty years and make use of alternate energy sources. The five hotels are the Diamante K, the Mezzanine, El Paraiso Tulum, Cabañas Mayan Grill, and Mar Caribe. I think the biggest of them is 30 rooms.

I found this imformation at:

cancuncanuck.com/2008/07/mexican-government-…

the artcle mentions twelve more hotels...but does not list names.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

Thanks for the responses. I have Nueva Vida booked for May 2009, so I wrote them directly. They are unaffected by this.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

I think it is safe to say that everyone who runs a hotel, visits Tulum, or will visit is affected by the latest actions of the Mexican Government- closing small eco hotels and approving a massive development of 14,000 new hotel rooms, condos, golf course, shopping center etc... (Downtown Tulum) They can't think that this is good for the environment?

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

I doubt that they think it is good for the enviornment - I'll bet they're thinking more about the economy. Jobs and revenue. Sad but that seems to be the way it goes.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

eminent domain at its best....seems unthinkable to me that they can just come in and seize this property. At least here we pretend to go through the process, same result in the end I guess!!! This type of action sickens me.

Massachusetts, USA
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

Does anyone have a map that shows the area of the closings, and where Cabanas La Luna is in relation to that area? We just booked a February trip to Cabanas La Luna, and paid the deposit and our airfares. I know that this is a much bigger issue than me and my vacation, but do you think my plans will have to change?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

According to the address they have listed here on TA, they're well out of the area that's being closed because of the national park.

Massachusetts, USA
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

Thanks! Since asking, I found that most of the properties in question are north of the beach road. But I also saw that Eurostar Blue was targeted, and only allowed to stay open because they had the right papers. From their website, it looks like they're south of the beach road - is that right? I haven't found anything that shows the boundaries of the area that's being disputed.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexican Government closing Tulum resorts

La Luna is just north of Zulum (which is just north of Ana y Jose).

Eurostars is right where the Coba Rd ends at the Boca Paila Rd (the beach rd). One of the most complete maps is on todotulum.com. You have to reg on their site to get to the map, though. And they still list Eurostars as Azul Blue.