We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

Do not rent from America Car Rental (Cancun, Playa) and beware when you rent from other no-name rental agencies.

We paid for our car rental in $222 cash, received a receipt, and were on our way.

A week later, upon returning the car in perfect condition, we were given $122 back and told that one of our $100 was deemed fake when they took it to the bank to deposit it. We were told our credit card would be charged for $222. (they already had our cc info from the required deposit)

We asked for the fake bill so we could take it to our bank, they no longer had it. We asked how they knew it was OUR bill that was fake, they said they took all deposits in separate envelopes. We asked why they didn't contact us when this was deemed counterfeit, as they had our contact info. We asked why they accepted the payment and issued us a receipt. We asked to speak to the manager, and were told that he is never reachable.

1) Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and say the bill was indeed counterfeit.....as a business, it is either their responsibility to equip themselves with the tools needed to determine counterfeit money, or else suck up the loss.

2) It's likely this is a scam. They showed us a black and white document from their bank with a stamp, which doesn't prove anyting. They could have a friend with a stamp, or that bill could have been anybody else's, including one of the employees, and they let us take the fall.

We were disgusted and sickened by this. Heed it as a warning!..We are disputing the charges with our CC company, and hope to have a happy ending.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

Why in the world would you want to pay cash for car rental. That sends up all th red flags.

Missouri
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

We also rented from America car rental also known as Cancun rent-a-car and Continental rent-a-car. They are in the process of ripping us off right now. We had nothing but problem after problem with them.When we returned home we noticed a second charge on our credit card bill from them. I emailed them asking why this was. They said they were suprised i asked since i apparently damaged their car and signed for the damages. The real kicker is their proof shows that we didn't damage the car. They have a deposit slip with our signature on it, which was blank and they were suppose to return to us but didn't. So they took that and filled in whatever amount they wanted and they are getting away with it! I just get so angry at people who want to rip honest people off! Please do not rent from this company. You will only give them the chance to rip you off. Our trip was in May and we are still fighting them on this. Our CC company has said we most likely will not win which really ticks me off since they are obviously ripping us off, but live and learn.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

Thanks for the info.

Hope you don't get ripped.

Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope it works out in your favor.

We noticed extra charges in the unauthorized charge that they already applied on our CC. There is an extra $19, which they claim is our bank transaction fee. Which is BS, because our bank transaction fee is listed separately and is only $6.

I'm a little worried b/c we never signed off on any deposit slip, although we gave them our credit card info for the $600 deposit. There is a random amount of $563 (go figure) pending. IT's been pending for 10 days. I don't know why it hasn't been canceled as we returned the car without damages.

I guess we were stupid, b/c we never got in writing anything that confirmed we didn't cause any damages to the car.

If we have to lose $120, so be it, we'll get over that. It's the principal of the matter, and it makes me so angry.

In the long run, they are really hurting themselves and their shady business.

Good luck everyone!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

There's always Hertz. We rented a car from them at the airport. No problems. They weren't more expensive than the other companies either.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

We rented from Cancun Renta Car in May with no problems at all, they gave us back the blank credit card slip that they take in case of damage to the car and took us to the ferry for Isla Mujeres at no charge. They did not ask for a deposit either. Sorry this happened to you.

Do know however that there are multiple companies with different web sites but all using the same office. We booked through Cancun Renta Car website, but the sticker said American, however the rates were what we had reserved. Caribbean is also owned by the same parent company.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

I agree with mimac. First, I would never give a rental car company cash upfront--much less a small , unknown Mexican operation. I would only make an exception for a small company I know well in Cozumel, ISIS--and she never asks for cash upfront.

Best to stick with the big name companies for most rentals, in my opinion.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

Unfortunatly I also had problems with this company. They tried to take a $600 deposit on my debit card and said it did not go through. So he tried again for a $500 deposit with $100 usd in cash, and charged my $230 rental fee. That left me with $30 dollars in cash. The car was great except that the door lock was broken and it had 1/8 of a tank of gas. I had to lock drivers side door with key all week, no big deal. We drove to Tulum and checked into Cabanas Tulum. We needed some supplies so we bought some stuff at Super San Fran, and headed to the ATM. I couldn't get any money. Now I have a bottle of water, a pack of oreos, ice and a six pack of Sol. Thank god for Nextel DC, I beep my boyfriend because it won't let me dial out, he calls the bank. Carribean rent a car charged over $1300 usd on my card! I cannot get any money for 24 hours. It was only 2pm. We went to CT asked the owner if we could use his phone & called Carribean. They told me they could not find my contract but that they didn't charge all that on my card, they will call me back. My 15 year old son was very hungry and I think we had $8.00 left. We went to Zamas and got a pizza to go.

The next day nothing from Carribean, nothing from the ATM. It's 11am and we were really hungry. We go back to Cabanas tulum, which was not my original hotel so I hadn't paid them any money, and the owners nephew tells us to have breakfast that they are not worried about us not having money. Horray for CT! We were so happy.

I found that I could call within Mexico on my cell so I gave Carribean an earful, they still have no contract. At 4 pm I score at the ATM and the rest of our trip was wonderful. UNTIL it's time to return the car. Arrive there at 8:45 am car checks out fine, no damage. But no contract, no $100 in cash, no one who speaks English. 1 hr later a 'manager' shows with my $100 in cash and my contract that they had 1 week to find. No appology, no explanation. I still have a little over $400 on my card that is supposed to "automatically disappear within 15 days" according to the manager. Today is day 15, crossing my fingers.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

Sorry to hear about all these stories. We just returned and rented from cancunrentacar.com, but of course I do not have a final c/c bill yet...so we'll see...

We had a small problem too. Our reserved preferred car was not avail and they tried to give us a stick shift - I'm just a silly girl who cannot drive a stick. They gave us the next class up and said they would bring us our car in the eve.

We never heard from them again and even called to see what was up before heading out for dinner - the person who answered the phone didn't have a clue what we were talking about. So we went on our merry way and returned the car on schedule with no problem...no problem so far.

But I will say we were at the office for an unusual long time while they sorted out their mess. I always say renting a car is a crapshoot.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware: Possible Car Rental Scam

I'm assuming cancun rental and carribean rental are two different animals?

I X'd Easyway a few years ago when I read about the many problems they were having. Sounds like they've gotten new cars and cleaned up their act.

So far, Carribean has the lowest rates I've found.