We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum on a budget?

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Tulum on a budget?

I'm planning on traveling to Tulum in October. Between the cost of airfare and accommodation, I'll be spending more than I'd like. Is it possible to eat and drink on decent budget? Is the supermarket pricey? I'm happy with fruit and bread and cheese, cans of cheap beer, etc., but I'm wondering what to budget for on a daily basis?

I would also like to get dinner one night (for my birthday!) and am looking for suggestions for a special dinner that's not overpriced but still special.

Thanks so much!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum on a budget?

Utilize a decent cooler and you'll be fine.

The supermarket's prices are average. SanFrancisco mart has everything you need, including a bakery, a deli, booze (cheaper across the street), and ice, pay cashier first, then go to security guy. (Buying ice there can be a tad confusing!).

The Tulum beach restaurants can be somewhat expensive, as are the drinks. There are happy hours at some places.

The Tulum pueblo has all kinds of restaurants, many very good and inexpensive. The grilled chicken dinners are great, inexpensive, and come with sides Makes a great meal at the beach. We enjoy the chicken, cold, for dinner, so we bought extra.

A good sight to visit for info on Tulum other then TA, is tulum.info.

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum on a budget?

Thanks tulu! I'd probably be more interested in visiting the local spots in town, as opposed to the more upscale places along the beach, anyways. Is the supermarket on par with the prices of US supermarkets?

It's possible to rent bikes somewhere?

I'll definitely look at tulum.info, thanks!

OC, California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum on a budget?

Stay at Diamante K beach cabanas for under $50/night, exquisite views and private beach cove, best in Tulum http://www.diamantek.com/... Can view a menu there, breakfast for 5-6 dollars, dinner for around 10-20 dollars. Very worth the money... Close walk/taxi down the beach for viewing ruins and cheaper eats at a place down the way on the sand... Can't remember the name, but the locals will guide you. Alberto's or Roberto's or something... Very casual, and under $10 for a meal, counter style, they'll call out your name. But beware, many lower cost bungalows along the beach, and very party atmosphere. Diamante K is quiet and clean, not a lot of loud tourists. I lived in Cozumel for 3 years, and my husband and I used to stay here when we wanted to "get away". Very peaceful and calm.

Also check out:

www.locogringo.com/dynamic/services.cfm…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,169 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum on a budget?

Might not want to try Diamante K. They were rcently shut down by the Mexican government.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum on a budget?

Prices just keep going up along the beach - many entrees are about $2 more than last year. Get a good collapsible cooler. You can get ice at Zahra for about $3. In town it's just a smidge cheaper...like maybe $2.50.

At the San Fran, you can get fruit, yogurt, cheese beer...everything. Bring a small paring knife, bowl, cup, spoon/fork...all that stuff. I washed our things with the tap water and soap, but gave them a final spritz of rubbing alcohol just to be sure...and rinsed it.

I still think the fish tacos at La Zebra are great at $8 (you get 3) and the mojitos for $6.50. Still my fave meal...for me, special. For you, not sure.

Look for recent trip report on tulum dot info - there is amention of Empanada Joe's - each around $1.50 and they have coffee.

Do you know where you are staying yet?

6. Re: Tulum on a budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 21:17