We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

critters

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
critters

ok call me a sissy. i really want to book a cabana on the beach. i don't mind rustic, i don't mind cold showers.but many reviews refer to scorpions dropping off bed canopies. i can live with an iguana staring at me but if a 6" scorpion drops on my head at night i'll have a freakin heart attack. not to mention i hate spiders, a tarantula might do me in to. are these critters more common in some areas? like the southern part of the beach, or certain resorts? am i just a wuss?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: critters

I'm a wuss, too, and I would also have a complete heart attack if I ever saw a tarantula in the wild. Even thinking about it gives me the willies. OK, maybe if I saw it from my car or something it would be sort of interesting.

Anyway, I've been to Tulum and have stayed in at least six different places on the beach. The worst thing I've seen is a scorpion, but it was two inches long, not six, and he was in the shower at Cabanas Tulum the day I was leaving. I just packed up my stuff and ran, but at least it was broad daylight!

The only other "icky" thing I've seen were a couple of large cucarachas/water bugs, and really, they're not so bad. Enough to get my heart racing, but once they're gone I don't worry about them.

Actually, all three of those things happened at Cabanas Tulum (which is the cheapest place on the main part of the beach). Plenty of geckos and iguanas at other places (though iguanas not usually indoors), but nothing creepy-crawly.

So I'd probably stay away from stick-sided cabanas, and in general the more you spend the more solid your cabanas, and you'll be just fine.

But if you want me to call you a wuss... :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: critters

I really don't think that the price you pay for a cabana on the beach depends if you will get critters.

Most cabanas allow easy access for them to enter.

Most scorpions there are not dangerous.

We have never had an experience with any of the critters mentioned, and we have been to Mexico many times. Keep food and drink out of the room.

Don't worry, put on your camping hat and you'll be fine!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: critters

Tulu, I guess I just meant spending more often gets you a more solid building and better-maintained grounds. Well-raked and cleared common areas might be more liable to discourage critters setting up shop near the rooms, you know?

Of course, Cabanas Tulum has solid walls, screens on the windows and non-thatched ceilings and yet there they were, so I guess you're right. :-)

ohio
Level Contributor
296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: critters

well i feel reassured. thanks for the advice. we are very interested in ochos tulum. i guess if i see a scorpion my wife will just have to hold me while i scream like a little girl. the pictures of the beach in tulum look incredable. what a cool area. do you know if there are restaurants in walking distance to ochos? the idea of being able to go topless or even skinny dipping sounds good.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: critters

Ocho is a great place, you'll love it for sure, and I bet you won't see a single critter (other than their dogs). Their restaurant is very good, and they're right next door to OM, which I really love, and a short-ish walk to La Zebra, which is very popular. You can also eat at Casa Violeta (next to Om), and Suenos Tulum is on your other side, but I'm not sure non-guests can eat there. You'll find out.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Violeta
Casa Violeta
177 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Suenos Tulum
Suenos Tulum
330 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
ohio
Level Contributor
296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: critters

thank-you for your helpful advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: critters

As Tulum continues to become more developed with tourism, there are fewer critters. But it IS the jungle, and you ARE in their territory.

Scorpions are ugly, but small, and not dangerous. It's kind of like a bee sting. I used to be scared of them too, until I got stung by one.

You can see them ANYWHERE, but you're less likely to see them on a second floor cabana, or in one that's up on stilts.

8. Re: critters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 03:18