We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant reservations

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant reservations

I'm not a big planner on vacation. Last year we had good luck getting a table and a good meal at all the places we tried except at Hechizo where Stephan, the chef, seemed to think it was a BIG problem to accomodate us without a reservation. Are there any other places with that kind of attitude in Tulum and if so are they worth it?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,244 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant reservations

that attitude usually happens in higher end places that dont want a lot of food sitting around going to waste, so they rely on reservations to have food on stock. Not justifying any "attitude" (that I obviously didnt witness first hand), but maybe an explanation.

I used to go out with a restauranteur in St Barth and he had a similar issue. How much lobster is one restaurant supposed to throw out on a given weekend?

I've been to some places where you not only have to reserve by 2, but have to decide what you're eating.

Although, I admit, I dont like making committments ie reservations either on vacation, so would opt for places where they arent as necessary.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant reservations

Hechizo also only seats a few tables at a time for each seating, it's all very carefully planned out.

Posada Margerita usually needs a reservation, but I've gone solo a few times and just sat at the bar to eat.

Hemingway has also been asking for reservations (their restaurant is pretty new, last spring I think) because she only has a few tables and wants to give preference to her guests.

In all cases, including Hechizo, you don't have to book your tables weeks or months in advance, just maybe swing by one day early in your week and set up a time for later in the week, sometimes it's OK for the same day. Not a big deal to me to do that because I love good food and am willing to plan for it (indeed, the anticipation is part of it for me), but I also totally understand just wanting to go completely on the wing while on vacation.

3. Re: restaurant reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 01:17