We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip/over 50/still like to have fun

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
First trip/over 50/still like to have fun

My husband and I have been talking about making our first trip to Mexico, I am 55 and he is 54, would Tulum be a good match? Looks like it has a bit of everything, beaches, ruins, etc. We are fairly young/fit for our age. Not too concerned about price, but would prefer not to break the bank. Any help would be appreciated, looking at late February next year.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip/over 50/still like to have fun

Tulum is a perfect choice if you like low-key atmosphere. No TV, no A/C (not needed in late Feb especially on beachfront), and when you open your door your feet are in the sand. Almost no room on the beach puts you more than 50 yards from the water. I'll never happily go back to marble corridors and 400-room resorts.

And since you're planning so far ahead (how do you manage that? LOL), you should have your pick of the litter.

I don't know how much it takes to break your bank, but one of the greatest rooms on the beach is the Captain Dale Beach House at Cabanas la Luna. It's more space than you need (there are two loft beds up a ladder as well as the large king on the main floor), but it's beautiful and it has one of the best decks I've ever seen. It makes you feel like the queen of the beach. It is, alas, $300/nt in high season, though they give a bit of a discount for staying for a full week.

There are tons of other choices up and down the beach for various other prices, so let us know what amenities you seek/require/desire and your budget, and it'll be easier for us to help.

In the meantime, you can start getting addicted to various boards and reading through the reviews and looking at the traveler photos.

Locogringo.com has a lodgings section that handles a few properties and they have great pictures, and there are a few places on VRBO and Vacation Rentals if you want something more independent (Cabanas la Luna lists here as well).

Have fun!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip/over 50/still like to have fun

I love Capt Dale's. BR and have both stayed there. Even though it is more room than you need - it has the best front porch with 2 hammocks. They can even cook you dinner and serve it on your porch!

But...know that Tulum is off-the-grid. All eco-conscience, low-impact cabana hotels. No large all-inclusives.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip/over 50/still like to have fun

Hi WyCo, we are in our mid 50's (ahem the new 40's). We are sisters and brothers who wanted to have a chance to snorkel and other related activities before we got too old (80's?). We've been going now since 2005. We started at an all inclusive-not knowing what to expect. Now we stay in smaller, cheaper wonderful hotels, rent a car and do and see everything we can. We base in Playa Del Carmen but travel up and down the coast. Be glad to offer any suggestions.

You'll enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
4. Re: First trip/over 50/still like to have fun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 19:18