We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

Boston...
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

I have read the amazing reviews for both of these places and I still can’t decide which one to book. My husband and I are avid New England campers and have no problems with sleeping “outdoors”, I’m just not sure if I want to camp on my vacation? We love low key places away from the all of the tourists and were really hoping to get away from it all for our trip this September. If anyone has any experience on either of these places, or both, please let me know.

Thanks!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

I'm partial to the killer breakfasts at La Conchita...But I have never stayed at Copal.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

The Copal beach is clothing optional, if that makes a difference to you.

Both beaches are bordered by rocky outcroppings. A mile south of Copal the beach opens up to miles of wide-open sand to which I am partial but many love the smaller beaches.

At Copal, depending on the room you get, you could be situated on the bluff right above the water, very cool. At Conchita, the buildings are set a bit farther back because their beach is a bit deeper, also very cool.

At Conchita, none of the rooms would make you feel like you're camping. At Copal, they have a wide variety of rooms and prices, some very inexpensive with shared bath and stick walls, some quite luxurious.

If you really want to "get away from it all" including other Tulum visitors, you might want to consider the far south end of the beach road. Many fewer people down that way.

What other places have you considered? I don't mean to dissuade you from either Copal or Conchita, both of which are lovely, I'm just curious what other places you looked at.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

BR is right...there are many other places with less rocky beaches. I still love LaC, though.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

Hi, Jessica. I'm sorry to butt in on your topic but it attracted my interest since I stayed in Conchita a couple of years ago and liked it. Well constructed cabanas, nicely decorated, clean, proffesional staff, and great included breakfast which made it seem like a good value (and decent rates). The only downer for me personally was the pocket beach, which some may not mind.

This brings me to my question, which is actually directed for any local expert such as Pepper or Beachreader: My ideal situation would be to take La Conchita (and its rate and breakfast)and plop it down somewhere on the long southern stretch of beach. Is there a property that approximates this scenario?

We also stayed at Hemingway before and liked the location but disliked the service, breakfast, and cabanas (except the porch). And I can't believe the rates they're asking now.

Hope you have a nice trip and good hotel experience, Jessica. You will like Tulum in any case.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

pair - I have yet to find THAT place (I'm right there w/ you!). I really enjoyed my stay at La Luna, but there are no killer LaC-style breakfasts.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

That is what I suspected, Pepper. I think Tulum is an awesome place with a frustrating hotel situation. (Although I love the cabana concept as opposed to big resorts). If I win the lottery I'm opening a cabanas place and running it right!

Gotta dream, right?

Luna sounds intriguing. I could sacrifice the breakfast if they have reasonable rates, etc.

We're coming in April and are actually resorting to staying in the pueblo. Sad to not sleep at the beach but the rate is a huge consolation. And I'm excited to go to lots of different beach clubs I saw on Sac be. Thanks to whoever said to look that up!!!!!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

Pair, if you win the lottery, can I help you run the place? I've got a whole list of characteristics I want in a place, including service.

I love La Luna, and now that they're doing food, maybe the brekkie will help (though not included). Their rates are pretty high for most of the year, though.

Maybe Nueva Vida?

Oh, sorry for the hijack, Jessica. Are you going to decide between Conchita and Copal, or do you want to talk about other places for a while? When are you going? What kind of budget would you like to stick to?

Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Tulum. We stayed at 2 different places (CLc and Suenos Tulum). La Conchita is definitely our favorite because of the more secluded beach and "away from civilization" atmosphere. Electricity from 6 - 10 PM and candle light after made it very romantic. We loved the breakfast and the fact that you can walk to different restaurants from CLC. (let me know if you want restaurant suggestions) The owner of CLC Maricio was very friendly and helpful with local lunch and dinner suggestions.

Suenos Tulum is located at the south side of the strip. The beach there is different than the one at CLC. The sand is more fine and the water seems to be a little more clam. Although the beach is much longer than the one at CLC, there are also alot more people. I have to say the view of the beach and the ocean from a 3rd floor room at Suenos was breathtaking.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions!

We loved our stayed at Tulum and will go back as soon as we can!

Boston...
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

Beachreader,

Thanks for your suggestions. I’m traveling in late September and I am still open to ideas of places. As for a budget, I am certainly intrigued with some of the resorts offering 7 nights for the price of 5 and I’m looking to spend roughly $100 a night, which most hotels fall into. I know I want to be right on the beach and willing to sacrifice all the bells and whistles of a high end place for the right location/view. Any other places that fall into these buckets let me know!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabanas Copal or Cabanas la Conchita?

Pair of loafers, when you said "I think Tulum is an awesome place with a frustrating hotel situation." What did you mean by frustrating? (This question is actually open to anyone). Thanks!

Copal and La Conchita are TOTALLY different concepts. La Conchita is more like a little hotel, whereas Copal is VERY rustic with cabanas in a very jungle atmosphere. I just wanted to be clear on the rustic nature of Copal.

Pepper, what's up with the breakfasts at La Conchita? I'm DYING to try them, I've heard so much about them.