We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family hotel recommendation

london
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Family hotel recommendation

We are moving on from Playa del Carmen tomorrow, and are looking for somewhere to stay. I guess we will visit Tulum ruins, maybe some cenotes, Chichen Itza, not sure where else.

Tulum seems like a good place for us to stop though?

Any suggestions, or perhaps recommend somewhere further along the highway?

london
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family hotel recommendation

and by family I mean we have two young children with us.

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family hotel recommendation

We have booked Dreams Tulum, 6 sleeps, wahay.

Have excellent facilities for Children and the adults are well looked after too.

We have stayed at Dreams in Cancun and Punta Cana, every trip has been excellent.

london
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family hotel recommendation

How much are you paying? The rates seem a bit on the steep side....

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,038 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family hotel recommendation

You'll probably want to stay on the beach. Did you see the post about $35 walk in rate at La Zebra??? Go there first!!

After that, try Playa Mambo.

Then go back up the road to Nueva Vida and then Tita Tulum.

Look at some maps to see where everything is at todotulum.com and sac-be.com.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,547 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family hotel recommendation

Tita Tulum is always my top recommendation for a family. Restaurant right there,cabanas in a V-shape that seems to keep everyone in sight, and a family-friendly atmosphere. Cheap rates, too!

london
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family hotel recommendation

We didn't care much for the Dreams. The staff all had their hand out for a tip, they refused to refill the minibar without one, and the food was served in fancy restaurants but was about the standard of your average university student - e.g., dried pasta with pesto from a jar in an oversized portion for the pasta course in the Italian restaurant, sushi rice stuck together by overcooking using too much water rather than rice vinegar as it should be in the Japanese restaurant.

The staff always seemed to be hunting for money, whether for themselves in tips or for the resort in the form of overpriced room upgrades, 'romantic dinners', US$20 for a photo with the toucan from the man who very aggressively told people not to take photos.

And very Americanized overall, they wouldn't let you leave the resort without telling them where you were going.

Ugh.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,038 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family hotel recommendation

Why did you go to Dreams and not one of the smaller cabana hotels on the beach?

london
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family hotel recommendation

I didn't see that post before I booked. Also we got a pretty good rate, $230/night, for the Dreams, and I read some things about the beach being a little primitive in terms of no electricity and stuff.

Am beachfront in Holbox now, a few metres from the water in my aircon room - much nicer scene - recovering from sunburn from whale shark trip (be warned, the free biodegradable sunscreen won't last long, best bring your own and top up regularly).

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family hotel recommendation

"very Americanized overall" where did you think you were going?

Dreams is an AI resort in the Americas

london
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family hotel recommendation

er, Mexico?

It's a bit disconcerting when people are shouting 'Utah' in the pool.