We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many days to stay in Tulum?

Seattle
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Topic
how many days to stay in Tulum?

any advise? thinking 3 nights, which would give late evening getting in, 2 full days, then out - is it long enough?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

Hi, Sunnydayz! I could, and have, planted myself in Tulum for 2 wks on many occasions. If you're staying in one of those adorable beach cottages at Ana y Jose, you'll hate to tear yourself away. Lounging on the beach, reading or walking, can consume days. Loads of enticing restaurants to try. Cool little resorts to visit for hanging on THEIR beaches. And Tulum pueblo is lots of fun for a few evenings, strolling, shopping, soaking in the atmosphere, and YES, more restaurants to try! From there, I've made lots of day trip to ruins, cenotes, other towns. The rustic, low key feel of Tulum makes it the perfect place to base my whole trip. BTW, Ana y Jose is a good place for a late check in, as they have round the clock reception. Not all Tulum beach hotels have that. Don't forget a little flashlight and extra batteries. Enjoy!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

Sunny -

What is it that you want to do in Tulum? If you want to dive into all the cool things the area has to offer - you'd have to stay more days.

How many? I don't know...what do you like to do?

Where else are you going? If I remember correctly, you are going to Playa del Carmen also, anywhere else?

Seattle
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

I'm thinking I would need several months to see and do everything I would like.... am also going to Playa and then to Isla Mujeres (I guess I couldn't decide :). The more feedback I get on the forums, the more I realize how little time I have! I like to spend my days pretty much just checking out the beaches, snorkeling, bumming around town, cool beach bars and restaurants. Like to do a little bit of tourist stuff, like maybe Xel ha, and want to make it to Chichen Itza this time.

By the way, the beach cottages are now booked by someone else, guess I was too slow! Trying to get a garden view instead, and trying for 3 full days there (4 nights). So probably one day on the beach, one day exploring town, maybe go to the cenotes? and probably a day for Chich. what do you think?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

Oh, that's really a bummer about the cottages. I don't recall if you mentioned the time of year you're going. Garden view rooms can be stifling, even in winter months. The ocean breezes don't reach back there. For me the breezes are essential in Tulum, as it IS the jungle. No pool side rooms available?

Seattle
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

hmmm... that's bad news - going in 2 weeks and got the garden room. they had a pool view, but I didn't like the idea of people hanging out right in front of my room. Wish me luck!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

Sunny -

The garden view is at it's worst in August when it's brutally hot - you'll be fine in two weeks - don't worry.

You may get some road noise, but again, in two weeks, there shouldn't be too much of that either...and if you are unhappy, they should have some availability to switch your room...and if you go for a pool view room - it's no big deal since this is not an all-inclusive with a hundred people hanging out - you have only 3 people hanging out - really not that huge of a problem.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

Have been a few times in Dec & it WAS hot and breeze-free back there, but the setting of the garden view rooms is very cute. The pool is almost always empty, or nearly so. So don't fear people hanging in front of your room if you switch to poolside. Plus, you'll get a nice view, and a maybe a glimpse of the ocean if you're upper level. Anyhow, you'll enjoy it no matter what! The place and the staff are terrific!

Seattle
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

Thanks so much pepper and 2tulum - if the garden doesn't work out we'll see if we can switch. I think I'll be fine, but boyfriend has trouble when it's too warm being from the rainy cold northwest. We'll give it a go. Am set on seeing some cenotes and Chich like you both recommendend from Tulum. Have either of you been to Sian Ka'an biosphere? Is it worth the trip on our limited time (3 1/2 days). Also, do you rent a car when there, or take tours or hire a ride?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

Sian Kaan is really done best with a tour and there is a great one from Cesiak (about 5k after the arch on the left side). Or you can rent kayaks from Kon-Waye (about 6k after the arch on the right side) and paddle around the lagoon - they also have an observation deck, but I'd reccommend a tour.

The road into Sian Kaan is one-way in and out and there isn't much to do unless you know where you are going, etc. You have to pay to get into the biosphere/reserve - about $3/person. You pay at the gate/arch.

There is a cenote by the arch - it's an interesting walk and a small cenote.

But Gran Cenote is the best one to visit if you are doing one. It's on the road to Coba on the right side.

We rent a car when we are there - we get it from the airport and drive ourselves down. Then you have the freedom to do what you want, when you want.

Seattle
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how many days to stay in Tulum?

thanks again! am still a little scared of driving in MX, but we'll see :)