We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Damage

Liverpool, England
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hurricane Damage

Damage to El Dorado Royale please, anybody !!!

Connecticut
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Damage

As of 8 pm Karisma Resorts was reporting the following (see their website: www.karismahotels.com & click on the "Hurricane Emily Advisory" link of the first page. The forums at www.playa.info are also a good source of information).

Dear Friends,

Below you will find the first assessment of the situation following hurricane Wilma at the Karisma Hotels in the Mayan Riviera.

EVACUATED GUESTS:

We are very happy to report that all guests and employees have weathered the hurricane safely and in good health.

Guest and employees of the el Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort were safely located in hurricane shelters at the University of Merida and The Reef Club in Progreso.

Guest and employees from the El Dorado Seaside Suites, AZUL Beach Hotel and Hidden Beach Resort were safely located in hurricane shelters at the Bahia Principe complex in Tulum.

El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort

First impact assessment: NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE HAS OCCURRED. Several villas were flooded (first floors only). All pools are filled with sand, and significant parts of the hotel grounds are covered with sand and debris. Several thatched roof palapas have been damaged.

Estimated opening date: With no structural damage reported, the current estimated opening date is November 08, 2005. The hotel will be closed for arrivals before this date.

El Dorado Seaside Suites

First Impact assessment: NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE HAS OCCURRED. Several villas are flooded (first floors only). Both pools are filled with sand, and large parts of the hotel grounds are covered with sand and debris. The thatched roof Beach palapas and the Guacamayas lounge have been damaged.

Estimated opening date: Due to the fact that no structural damage has occurred, the current estimated opening date is November 08, 2005. The hotel will be closed for arrivals before this date.

Hidden Beach Resort

First Impact assessment: NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE HAS OCCURRED. The Swim-up suites have been flooded. The pool is filled with sand and large parts of the hotel grounds are covered with sand and debris. The thatched roof beach palapas have been damaged.

Estimated opening date: Due to the fact that no structural damage has occurred, the current estimated opening date is November 08, 2005. The hotel will be closed for arrivals before this date.

AZUL Beach Hotel

First Impact assessment: First floor rooms, and several service areas have water damage. The pools are filled with sand and significant parts of the hotel grounds are covered with sand and debris. Several thatched roof palapas have been damaged.

Estimated opening date: The current estimated opening date is November 24, 2005. The hotel will be closed for arrivals before this date.

Karisma office in Miami

Due the expected impact of hurricane Wilma in South Florida and Miami, the Karisma Sales & Marketing office in Miami will be closed on Monday, October 24, 2005. It will reopen as soon as things in Miami are back to normal.

Please note that all opening dates are first estimates. Changes in opening dates may occur due to various external factors as we continue inspecting the impact and asses damages of the Hurricane.

We will continue to provide updates with the latest news on a regular basis through our webpage: www.karismahotels.com

In case you do have any question or comments, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for your support,

Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Damage

My husband and I evacuated El Dorado Royale on 10/20. We left the shelter and made our travel arrangements ourselves to get home. The majority of the guests were still at the shelter when we left. The hotel is not bringing people back to the hotel at this point (approximately 4 hours apart). The communication between the shelter and the hotel was limited. I doubt any tourist has been able to see the structural damage at this point. I am hoping the resort will be okay -- especially since our luggage is still in the bathtub of our room :-) Honestly, we are just happy to be safe and to be home!

Illinoise
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Damage

Good morning,

Have you heard what the damage is at the Grand Bahia Tulum? We have two families scheduled for a vacation on November 16 and wondering if we lost our vacation dollars since we did not purchase insurance through apple. Any information on the damage would be greatly appreciated.

Helen

Buffalo,New York
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Damage

I CAN'T BELIVE EDR would be open on nov 8 .thats the day we arrive.I don't know what to do (have no travel insurance)I was so looking forward to going to a spectacular resort,not one that is damaged-I don't want to hear hammering all day long-this s...s!

frankiev
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Damage

MANDERSON-you are all over the place freaking out! You sound extremely uptight come on- if your main issue is about hearing hammering then yeah, you probably should not go - ANYWHERE!- If the EDR is not fit to open on the 8th then it will not open on the 8th , and you will get a refund , since they could not meet the conditions of the contract. If they are ready to operate on the 8th, & you don't want to go because you don't want to hear hammering then you are SOL! That's why travel insurance is offered, for the unforseen unpredictable future! So suck it up MANDERSON, quit whining about your hammering concerns, if you can manage to alter your attitude & focus you will likely have an amazing vacation!

Buffalo,New York
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Damage

ok frankie,you made me laugh,I'll stop my whining already:)I needed that-

Swansea UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Damage

manderson

The wife is the same... worries over hammering, substandard resort etc.

but fingers crossed it'll all be great. anyhow... We've booked a night before we fly at the hilton gatwick - £180 ($320) for 1 night... and I don't think that'll be covered by insurance if it does go pear shape. Our operator has stopped all flights until 31st October so we probably won't know for at least another week! if it does get cancelled.... it'll be a mad rush to find somewhere else.

So I'm praying for a sorted resort, and amazing weather... and a lot of new good friends who we can share a few(ish) drinks and laughs with at a (what I'm sure will be..) a beautiful resort.

Fingers crossed everyone...

Huw

Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Damage

My travel agent seems to think EDR may open even sooner than November 8. We are scheduled to arrive on the 3rd and she wasn't ready to reschedule us yet. Also, our tour operator is only allowing rebooking through Oct. 31 (transglobal vacations). I don't know what will happen if the tour company will only allow rebooking for vacations scheduled through the 31st but the hotels won't open until after that. Maybe they'll change their policy as those dates approach. This is our first experience with anything like this. We're rookies! Trying to remain calm and patient.

Tara

Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Damage

Okay, this just goes to show information will be changing quickly over the coming days. I just checked transglobal's website again and they have extended their travel reschedule options to include vacations through November 5. We're still waiting for northwest airlines to pull their heads out of the sand and change their policy as well. According to their website, they're only allowing rescheduling for flights through tomorrow (Tuesday the 25th). After that, if they fly, you fly! Yeah, right!

Tara

manchester
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Damage

Manderson

Wish i due 8th nov I'd put up with hammering

Huwball

Looks like drinks are of schedule

Were due to go 1st Nov no definate info from TA yet

Hope u all make it to EDR I'm sure you'll have a great time