We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damage to EDR, EDSS, Hidden Beach, Azul Beach Update 8PM...

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Damage to EDR, EDSS, Hidden Beach, Azul Beach Update 8PM...

Karisma hotels reports the following on their website http://www.karismahotels.com/huracan.html

Karisma Resorts properties on the Mayan Riviera. Update October 23rd, 8:00 pm ET

Dear Friends,

Below you will find the first assessment of the situation following hurricane Wilma at the Karisma Hotels in the Mayan Riviera.

EVACUATED GUESTS:

We are very happy to report that all guests and employees have weathered the hurricane safely and in good health.

Guest and employees of the el Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort were safely located in hurricane shelters at the University of Merida and The Reef Club in Progreso.

Guest and employees from the El Dorado Seaside Suites, AZUL Beach Hotel and Hidden Beach Resort were safely located in hurricane shelters at the Bahia Principe complex in Tulum.

El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort

First impact assessment: NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE HAS OCCURRED. Several villas were flooded (first floors only). All pools are filled with sand, and significant parts of the hotel grounds are covered with sand and debris. Several thatched roof palapas have been damaged.

Estimated opening date: With no structural damage reported, the current estimated opening date is November 08, 2005. The hotel will be closed for arrivals before this date.

El Dorado Seaside Suites

First Impact assessment: NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE HAS OCCURRED. Several villas are flooded (first floors only). Both pools are filled with sand, and large parts of the hotel grounds are covered with sand and debris. The thatched roof Beach palapas and the Guacamayas lounge have been damaged.

Estimated opening date: Due to the fact that no structural damage has occurred, the current estimated opening date is November 08, 2005. The hotel will be closed for arrivals before this date.

Hidden Beach Resort

First Impact assessment: NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE HAS OCCURRED. The Swim-up suites have been flooded. The pool is filled with sand and large parts of the hotel grounds are covered with sand and debris. The thatched roof beach palapas have been damaged.

Estimated opening date: Due to the fact that no structural damage has occurred, the current estimated opening date is November 08, 2005. The hotel will be closed for arrivals before this date.

AZUL Beach Hotel

First Impact assessment: First floor rooms, and several service areas have water damage. The pools are filled with sand and significant parts of the hotel grounds are covered with sand and debris. Several thatched roof palapas have been damaged.

Estimated opening date: The current estimated opening date is November 24, 2005. The hotel will be closed for arrivals before this date.

Karisma office in Miami

Due the expected impact of hurricane Wilma in South Florida and Miami, the Karisma Sales & Marketing office in Miami will be closed on Monday, October 24, 2005. It will reopen as soon as things in Miami are back to normal.

Please note that all opening dates are first estimates. Changes in opening dates may occur due to various external factors as we continue inspecting the impact and asses damages of the Hurricane.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Damage to EDR, EDSS, Hidden Beach, Azul Beach Update 8PM...

This just seems too good to be true. Anyone else agree with me here? We are scheduled to go to EDR on Dec. 27. I was thinking we'd definitely have to rebook and go elsewhere. I find it amazing that there is no structural damage and is reopening on 11/8! The reports until now had sounded so grim. I'm talking to my travel agent tomorrow to get her opinion but I'd like to know what people here think. Should we keep our December plans or will it just be sad and disappointing to witness all the destruction on our 5th anniversary celebration trip?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damage to EDR, EDSS, Hidden Beach, Azul Beach Update 8PM...

Sunnybeachdreamer, hurricane damage varies so much throughout the peninsula. I have three rustic hotels in Tulum, and we are opening in a week. So I would tend to believe what the websites of these hotels are saying. It is definitely possible that they are ready to open by those dates.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Damage to EDR, EDSS, Hidden Beach, Azul Beach Update 8PM...

thanks Holly! I guess I am just in disbelief to hear some good news for a change! Glad your hotels' damage weren't too severe.

CT
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Damage to EDR, EDSS, Hidden Beach, Azul Beach Update 8PM...

Sunnybeach,

We went to EDR one month after Hurricaine Emily passed through the Yucatan. The hotel/grounds were immaculate... you couldn't tell a hurricaine had just passed through it less than four weeks ago. I would keep my reservation but would recommend you keep an eye on future postings by karisma in their website, just to follow up on their opening date and the re-installation of all their services.

Have a great time at EDR. We can not wait to go again!!! :)

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Damage to EDR, EDSS, Hidden Beach, Azul Beach Update 8PM...

Since EDR is closed on the days we were supposed to be there, we re-booked our vacation plans to another destination. We hope to eventually be able to go to EDR, possibly next spring.