We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Zebra or Nueva Vida

kansas city, mo
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
La Zebra or Nueva Vida

I'm planning on a trip to Tulum beginning May 23-May 27.

We've narrowed it down to La Zebra and Nueva Vida, based on reviews on TA. I have a few questions!

-Are taxis hard to find in this area? (Looks like La Zebra is next door to Nueva Vida, so the answer would be the same for either hotel). Or, should we rent a car?

-What are some good restaurants within walking distance?

-Does Nueva Vida have a bar area (or is that within the restaurant?)

Much appreciated! Thanks!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Zebra or Nueva Vida

Taxis are fairly common, though you might have to wait/walk for 10 min. After 9-10pm, things quiet down and you might want to call for one. The properties are within a 5 min walk from each other (not quite next door, but close), so the locale is the same for either as you mentioned.

I can't recall if NV has bar service.... I think so, but we only ate b'kfast there. There are plenty of good restaurants/bar within (15 min) walking distance. Our favs were Casa Violeta, Ocho Tulum, and La Zebra. See our 'restaurant summary' post from 3/2009 for more details.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Zebra or Nueva Vida

LaZ has a bar you can hang out in on the beach. NV can get you drinks from their restaurant which is located on the jungle side. But you can stay at either and visit either. To me...really depends on what rooms you are looking at at both places.

pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Zebra or Nueva Vida

we're going to tulum on saturday and staying at la selva mariposa and la vida de ramiro. will report back when we're home.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Zebra or Nueva Vida

Enjoy! BTW... it's "Nueva Vida....". :) Be sure to check out Casa Violeta for dinner some night. We loved it and ate there 3X (and I liked it better than other top picks like Posada Margarita).

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Zebra or Nueva Vida

Taxis are no problem-just step out onto the road and one will drive by in 10 minutes or less-they can also call one for you at anytime.

Food-La Zebra has wonderful food-they also have a machine for a Latte as does Mezzanine-same owner, Tita Tulum has some very good fish and chicken dishes and lunch is very good also. Casa Banana located at Nueva Vida has a Argentina steak night and a wonderful club sandwich for lunch. La Zebra has a great bar and restaurant for just about any mood you could be in and wonderful cocktails with a sugarcane press for fresh juice. Nueva Vida has a new Bar in the restaurant and is very nice with a good wine selection.

Have a wonderful time!!!

kansas city, mo
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Zebra or Nueva Vida

Thank you all so much for your input!

7. Re: La Zebra or Nueva Vida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2010, 05:15