We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

New York
5 posts
Save Topic
Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

Just got an email from Tulum Resorts promoting a new Adults Only hotel in Tulum called "S&S Hip Hotel."

The photos in the ad look suspiciously like the former, government seized, Ocho Tulum.....is it??

If it is the old Ocho who own the "S&S Hip" And how did it re-open so quickly????

Curious

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

Gag! I hope not!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

It does look that way. I guess when you take over/seize a bunch of stable buildings, it's easy enough to set up shop for yourself.

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

I assume that the S&S Hip Hotel is not an Official Resort of the Mexican Government.

Soooooo, who is running the show now? And how did they get the hotel out of trouble with the government so darn quickly????

.....something is rotten in the State of Denmark--- or, in this case, Tulum.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

It seems that when a seized by the government falls directly into another operator's hands, it's fairly easy to do. Read the second to last post here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150813-i155-k3252…

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

>Read the second to last post here:

>tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150813-i155-k3252…

No way!!! A&J's muscled Ocho out??.....say it ain't so!!

(I love both hotels.)

I can't believe that A&J's would just make a unilateral strike like that without a reason. ----There must be more to this story.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

There's got be a lot of story. I'm not sure who did what exactly.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

I have been a guest for two years at Ocho and I loved everything about it - the rooms with simple decor, the management, the great staff, the restaurant, and the sublime beach. I also had a dinner at Ana y Jose which I enjoyed. I just didn't think that I wanted to stay there (too many weddings.)" S & S hip hotel" sounds tacky. Nowhere that I would want to stay.

I love Tulum but I want to go back to Ocho under their old management, and I am boycotting Tulum until they are restored.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

You're right Mimac, S&S Hip Hotel does sound really tacky.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

I keep thinking it's something about a Ship. When I got the email announcing the new name, I thought it was spam from a cruise line! S&SShip. They really need to re-think their marketing team. LOL.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,916 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Ocho Tulum now S&S Hip Hotel???!!

This is definitely the old Ocho. I recognize it by the photo's. We stayed there in november 20008. What about the ugly beach furniture...

The rates appeat to be lower than Ocho's though.

How weird that is was seized by government and now has become a different hotel. This must have been set up ages ago. How else do get a hotel up and running again in such a short time. I heard the old Ocho was completely emptied out of furniture, everything.