We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
9 posts
Save Topic
Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

I'm thinking of a 5 day trip to Tulum to get away next month. I'm looking for a good hotel for solo female traveler. Beach front is a must. I think I'd like a little luxury while I'm there, plus some adventure like snorkeling and ruins, but also a lot of quiet. I don't want to fight for a chair around a pool teaming with families or honeymooning couples. The beachfront cabannas are enticing, but I'm not sure I want to go that rustic on this trip. Anyplace that has the best of both? The all inclusives are convenient, but I expect they will be a little cruise feeling for my taste and I don't trust the food not be the same. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

La Luna and La Conchita would be good. But...what is it exactly that you consider too rustic?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

Yes, what's too rustic for you? And what's your budget? That will help us get a sense of things. I assume you already know that most places don't have swimming pools, if that's important to you. Blue Tulum has a very nice pool, Suenos Tulum has probably the second largest (it's much smaller), Las Ranitas has one or two, Ana y Jose has one, and Zulum and Puerta del Dielo have small pools. Parayso also has a pool, but I don't know anything about them.

Don't know why I went off on the pool tangent, sorry (unless that's helpful to you). :-) I often travel solo down there, so if you let us know your budget (for room only), and whether or not you'll have a car, that'll help guide us.

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

Budget up to about $250 a night, but would love a great deal. Got a reccomendation on Nueva Vida de Ramiro which looks awsome. I've sent an email, but haven't gotten a response yet. I also looked into Tierras del Sol but they are booked up. That's another thing, I think a lot of cabbanas are already full for next month. I looked into Blue Tulum, but it just looked really Disney to me. Am I wrong? Too rustic is no electricity. I can rent a car if necessary.

Thanks!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

Just about everybody has elec of some sort. Most even 24 hr, so we'll just have to find something you'll love....

Blue is kinda un-Tulum-like. You might not enjoy it if you'd prefer a cabana. Suenos would be a perfect place for you.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

I stayed solo in a Jungle room at La Zebra, which I liked a lot. I've also stayed in town at Posada Luna del Sur, which is fabulous for a solo traveler, especailly if you want to meet other people.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

I don't think I'd call Blue Tulum "Disney", because for an AI (they have non-AI options too), they're pretty small, but Pepper's right, it's not really "Tulum".

So, is a pool important to you? If so, I'd definitely go with Suenos Tulum. In fact, you might want to go to Suenos even if you don't care about the pool. I also love Cabanas La Luna when traveling solo. It's kind of a close place, so while I feel private, I also don't feel like I'm all alone. If that makes any sense at all. :-) My last trip there I stayed in their smallest beachfront room, Robinson Crusoe, which is only $130 in high season, but perfect size for a single (IMO). They've been pretty well booked up lately, though, not sure if you can squeeze in. Their other rooms are great, too.

Someplace like La Zebra might be fun for you if you want some activity around, and Nueva Vida is great too. $250 is a decent budget, so it might be down to what's available. Let us know what you're finding!

9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

Ended up going with a beach cabanna at NVR. Seems like just what I'm looking for and the reviews were univerally great. Lots of quiet uncrowded beach. Figured with that I didn't need a pool. Can't wait to get there!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

Great choice, and I'm sure you'll fall in love with your covered deck. Which unit did you get, if you don't mind me asking? Just living vicariously...:-)

9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

I got Amor Eterno...only beach cabanna available. By the way...thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. Helped alot.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good hotel for solo traveler in Tulum

Oh yeah, that's a great deck! I also love that they have Adirondack chairs on their decks. I can sit in one of those for hours. If you like cushions on your deck chairs, you may have to ask for them. I know they have them, but they weren't on ours and we just never thought to ask, but I saw them elsewhere.