We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum without hotel reservations in early May?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum without hotel reservations in early May?

IMy husband and I are thinking of going to Tulum without reservations anywhere. We'd like to see if we can get better prices than listed on travel sites or hotels' listed on-line prices. Does anyone have any experience or advice about doing this in the beginning of the off-season? Has anyone gotten better prices at Ana y Jose's, Nueva Vida, Parayso, or Cabanas Tulum by walking in and asking?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum without hotel reservations in early May?

It's definitely possible. I keep saying I'm going to do it, but I really like knowing where I'll lay my head, and imagining my surroundings is part of my pre-trip enjoyment.

May is only just barely off-season, but you should have a good shot if you have a plan.

First, I think I'd go ahead and check with the properties I'm most interested in and see if there's availability, just so you can scratch off anyone who's booked solid.

Then, get a map of the beach properties and make a plan. I doubt you'd get much of a deal at Ana y Jose, but Cabanas Tulum already has a special running through June, so I'm sure they'd be open to a good deal. Playa Azul might as well (though since they're already running specials, they may be booked, who knows). I tried negotiating with Nueva Vida last year and got nowhere, but I was trying to do it online, when they knew I was interested.

So rank the places you're most interested in and plot them out on your map. You'll want to make the best use of your time especially if it's your first night. What time will you be getting in to town? A lot of people like to book their first night just so they know where they're headed, then spend the next morning looking for a place, but if you're getting in early enough it could work.

I'll warn you that you might not find the super-duper deals that used to be available for this kind of thing. Like $50 probably isn't going to happen anywhere you listed, but give it a shot!

What kind of price are you hoping to find for beachfront?

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum without hotel reservations in early May?

We got better deals at Ana y Jose by walking in but this was 10 years ago...

Two years ago I emailed them, telling them it would be the 4th time we would stay at their hotel, but they were only willing to rent a room without the package they have on their website.

I think nowadays with the internet you have a better chance of negotiating by email.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum without hotel reservations in early May?

we were thinking of booking a night or two at Posada Luna del Sur and then looking for beach accommodations. but you are probably right, spending our vacations days looking for a place on the beach would be a waste of valuable time. Do you have any opinions on Nueva Vida, Parayso Hotel and Spa, Cabanas Tulum? We were looking to spend anywhere from $100-180/night.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum without hotel reservations in early May?

Agreeing that you don't want to spend valuable vacation time looking for a place, I'd also negotiate by e-mail. Be willing to go 2-3 rounds with the property (that's what I did, including the final round after I'd arrived in Tulum--from one of those Internet places on the main drag). I think splitting your time between a place in town, which you mentioned, and the beach is a good idea. I did that, staying first at Posada Luna del Sur (which is great fun, it was tough to leave, but I wanted a little of the full beach experience) and a place on the beach.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum without hotel reservations in early May?

I should clarify that I bargained only for the beach place--not for where I stayed in town, as in-town rates are reasonable to begin with.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
474 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum without hotel reservations in early May?

Like BR said that time of the year can still be a little busy and some locations will not be so ready to discount even more. But email around and find out what you can get before coming.

7. Re: Tulum without hotel reservations in early May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 07:17