We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
212 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

I was the only one in my group to get massive, pus-filled welts on my toes, feet, legs and one on my index finger. I had thought they were mosquito bites but after a day or so, I noticed they had swollen up (one on my ankle so much that it looked like I'd just packed a few ounces of fat right on it!)...

The pus has stopped but they are still itching like crazy and are all still swollen. Most of them also look like they are blood blisters.

Are these black fly bites? Sand flea bites? Can anyone tell me? It has been now seven full days and I'm wondering if I should seek medical attention. I have been loading on the Benadryl and Cortaid creams.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
474 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

Black flys no, sand flea none that i know of in tulum but even though no should be like that. After seven days please go and seek some medical attention no matter what you hear or what advice you get.

Where were you staying??

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
212 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

I was at the Nueva Vida...but I think I got them when I was out and about walking from restaurant to restaurant or sitting at the beach bar at the Ziggy Beach club.

Any other ideas what kind of nasty bugs might have bit me like this?

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

Any suggestions/ideas will be pure speculation. As mentioned, you should seek the advice of your own doctor.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

You should see your dr. It almost sound like fire ants to me. You never know what it can be. My son had larvae migrans when he was 4 and it got worse when we got home.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

Definitely see a dr., and be very detailed in where you were, how the stuff looked when it first appeared, the whole history of things.

Did you walk through any greenery at ankle level? Maybe it's something like a poison ivy or chechen. You don't seem to remember actually being bitten, or you'd know exactly where it was, so it could be something botanical.

Anyway, it could be nothing, it could be something that really needs care.

Good luck!

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
212 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

Went to the dr-- seems to be some type of fly bite, not mosquito by his standards. Infected as well...on a round of prednisone, antibotics and a topical cream. He thought some kind of massive black-type fly or chiggers-- not anything plant based as he looked at the puncture sites.

Be careful out there! :)

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

There is a nasty fly called a tabano that bites real hard and leaves a bad bite. You usually know it when they are biting you and they are rather agressive. My husband had a reaction to one once while on vacation where his arm swelled up.

Anyway....hope the bites get better soon.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
474 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

When you say pus how did your skin break for it to come out? I know tabano ( horse fly) bites swell and hurt . This is something i found online ( please don't take it to the bank) seems along the lines of what i heard though. Please also do your own research.

flickr.com/photos/shuttersparks/3599271590/

Tabanos are perhaps the most despised insects in this area. There are over 3,000 species found throughout the world. 350 species are found in the U.S. They are despised because, like mosquitos, the female requires a blood meal in order to reproduce and the tabano inflicts a serious bite. It attacks vigorously, mostly during the afternoons and on cloudy days during the summer season from April to September. The species that we have here is one of the few that will attack indoors. Any exposed part of the body can be attacked. Males do not bite. Tabanos will readily attack sleeping children. They also attack domestic animals including dogs.

Unlike most blood-feeding insects which surreptitiously puncture the skin with needle-like organs, tabanids have mandibles like tiny serrated knives which they use to cut and rip the flesh open. This causes blood to seep out and the fly licks it up. The resulting wound usually swells into a large painful welt that itches terribly and seeps fluid for days. The discomfort is bad enough for adults but is even worse for small children.

In some parts of the world, tabanids can transmit diseases such as equine infectious anaemia (a virus that affects horses), trypanosomiasis, anthrax, and parasites such as filariasis (loa loa), but these do not occur to any significant extent in Central America.

Tabanids prefer forest settings where there is plentiful water. There is no mitigation. Broadcast insecticides by and large do not work and also damage the environment. Insect repellent, long pants and long sleeved shirts are the best protection. Fortunately these creatures are not as common as mosquitos. One might go for days without seeing one. But expect a few bites each summer.

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
212 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

Well--- that shot of the bite looks like what I've got in at least four to five places! The dr. here in the US said it looked like what he'd call a horse fly bite with a vengeance-- so I'd have to guess that is the fly that bit me. I have to admit, that several times, I felt a prickly bite, but the times I felt it, I had drunk a couple of beers or cocktails, so the initial pain wasn't bad. I did see massive flies about in the lobby/restaurant part of our hotel. Nothing was bad until they oozed out pus and then ITCHED like nothing before! A few of them just really hurt now.

For those of you travelling, though-- just an FYI, I used a repellent that was 30% DEET along with one of those OFF personal repellent fans...seems that it kept the mosquitoes at bay, but not these suckers!

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
474 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from my trip, but have insect bite question

Wow,

i now people that have been stung and feel it no matter what. I guess the alcohol numbed the pain a bit. The important thing is that you get better.