We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers - Q&A

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Timers - Q&A

Hello Everyone,

It is our first time in Tulum - next week - and I would appreciate if you could exchange some opinions/ideas regarding the issues below:

1 – Reptiles. I am terribly, dreadfully tremendously horrified by them. Not so much lizards but serpents/ snakes. Should I be concerned and worried?

2 - Food. My partner and I are foodies; while he can eat almost anything, I on the other hand am a little fussy and a vegetarian with the exception of seafood. Will I be able to find a good vegetarian/seafood cuisine and which restaurants would you recommend?

We are staying in a cabana at NV-R, and we are not renting a vehicle.

Thank you kindly.

Fleur

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers - Q&A

We stayed in Tulum 4 times and never saw any snakes. We did see lots of crabs, lizards and (at the ruins) some iguanas.

I think we saw a snake once but that was somewhere in the Yucatan and not at the coast.

Regarding food: yes you will be to eat vegetarian and seafood in restaurants along the beach. Om has good pizzas and seafood. We also had dinner at Mezzanine (thai food) that has now been moved to Pez. La Zebra has good seafood too. These are all in walking distance of NVR.

We never ate in the pueblo, but I am sure lots of people will have recommendations for that as well.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers - Q&A

I've never seen a snake in Tulum either. You probably see more of them in Michigan in the summer (I used to when I grew up there).

I eat like you do - veg for the most part, but some fish and seafood. Don't worry, lots to eat.

I love the fish tacos at La Zebra, but you have to order them on corn tortillas with the mashed potato on it. The new way they make them is not so great, IMO. Plus they have a good veg empanada.

OM has lots of pizzas to choose from. They have a wood fired oven. Try to get there early to grab one of the "booths" in the front and watch the clouds turn colors from the setting sun.

Las Estrellas at La Luna has quite a few things to choose from. A spinach salad, nopal enchiladas and a shrimp tortilla thing (I forget what they called it). Plus they have an interesting indigineous dip called Xuiclepax (shweek-la-pox) made from pepitas (according to our waiter, it's all vegan and gluten free, fyi).

You can walk to these restaurants along the beach easily from your hotel. Look at the map on todotulum.com. And don't forget to report back!!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers - Q&A

You can eat really wellin Tulum - grilled fish, ceviche, shrimp tacos also vegetarian enchiladas, pastas, salads. If you don't see what you would like ask for grilled vegetables. most restaurants will accommodate that request.

The only snake that I saw in the Yucatan was a huge anaconda being displayed for tourists on Fifth Ave. in Playa del Carmen. Lots of friendly lizards and iguanas though.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers - Q&A

I live in a small Mayan village 20 minutes west of Tulum. We are on the highway but back up to wooded lots. Periodically we see snakes, but not anywhere as often as I would like. lol Snakes don't want to be seen. We are not overrun with them. We have lived here for three years and have seen less than ten in that time. We go for months without seeing one. In your short stay you are unlikely to see one.

FYI...you might want to say the Yucatan Peninsula when you are referring to places outside of the Riviera Maya. The Riviera Maya is inside the state of Quintana Roo and the state to the west is Yucatan. It makes complete sense to me when someone says Yucatan because I know they mean Peninsula. But to the locals that means the neighboring state. It's kinda like saying you live in Ohio if you live on Ohio St. in Michigan. And there is an Ohio St. in Saginaw, Michigan where I am from.

Although I live nearby, I am no help with restaurants since we mostly eat at home. lol We did eat at The Cottage in Tulum across from the bus station. They have seafood and I really enjoyed their food, prices, and presentation.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers - Q&A

There are some really superb restaurants within a 15 minute walk that will meet your needs. Here's our writeup from last year (which held true in 2/2010 too).

tripadvisor.com/…16667038

The only updates were that Ocho Tulum is now S&S house and has a nice wide menu and good wine list, and Luna Maya grew on us this past trip. Oh, we tried Mezzanine recently and it met the high praise it routinely gets... a bit expensive, but very good Thai food.

Enjoy!

Michigan
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers - Q&A

Tomorrow we are off to Tulum - thank you all for sharing your experiences!

Fleur

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
474 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers - Q&A

In any of the suggested restaurants ask them to make you vegetarian meals. I think they all will be able to accomodate you. See you at the beach

Michigan
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers - Q&A

Two more questions:

1 - Dress-code at the restaurants: elegant, casual or shorts/tops/flip-flops.

2 - Money: Plastic, US$, or Pesos.

Thank you

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers - Q&A

No dress codes at any of the places that I ate on the beach . Shoes not required either I don't think.' I bring $100- of US cash in 10's & 20's then hit the ATM at the airport for pesos and then ATMs in the pueblo as need. I bring a credit card, but most places don't take them.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers - Q&A

No dress codes at all that I know of, as long as you're dressed.

Cash is king, pesos are best (and as mimac says, ATMs are the best place to get pesos). One tip on the ATMs, check with your bank up here and see if they have any special relationships with a bank in Mexico. I'm with BoA up here, and they're linked with Santander Serfin, so I pay neither ATM fees nor exchange fees when I use a Santander machine in Mexico. Happily, the ATMs are the airport are Santanders, so I load up there. They don't have any branches in Tulum (yet; that may have changed by now with all the growth going on), so I get as much as I can at the airport.

Anyway, just a tip.