We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about NVR

Poolesville...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about NVR

Planning a spring anniversary trip to Tulum- thinking last week of May. I have read a couple reviews of NVR, and it seems like the place for me and the hub, but i had a couple questions..... anyone with advice would be very appreciated!!!!

1. booking- we are feeling a little particular about which cabana we want, does anyone have info/suggestions on how early we should book in order to get the one we want? ( also a little concerned with a couple stories I read on TA abt people arriving and being given a different cabana!?!?)

2. Did the hotel help anyone with booking outside trips, if so, how did that go?

3. Cabana suggestions- we are leaning heavily towards La Ola- we want rustic, private (as in stand-alone) , and on the beach. other suggestions on good cabanas?

thx much, TA friends!!

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
192 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about NVR

My husband & I stayed there in September 2005 and we had no issues. We only booked like 2 weeks in advance and I was a bit scared about making the deposit but everything went fine. We stayed in Amor Eterno and we loved it. The staff were very nice and the restaurant was great! We did not book any tours through them but I am sure they would be willing to help out or at least point you in the right direction.

Have fun!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
824 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about NVR

I have not stayed at NVR so cannot really answer your questions, but I did book a room for next June. There was only a couple of rooms I would have wanted and I already lost out on getting a room at La Luna so I decided to book early and get the room I wanted. We are also going for our anniversary so I know our dates won't change. Being given a different cabana would suck, but I'm not going to let myself worry too much about it.

I also wanted to add that the booking process went smoothly and I was surprised that my emails were answered within the same day I sent them. So far so good!!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,562 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about NVR

We've stayed there in 2009 and 10 and enjoyed both visits. This past trip, we stayed for a couple of nights in Amor Eterno, which I suspect is similar to La Ola. VERY nice beach view from the small porch, great sound of the waves at night and nice breeze for sleeping. It was rustic - plain wooden floors, only cold water in the sink w/ rough PVC plumbing, hot water in the shower, a slight smell from the shower drain (which can be eliminated with a spare washcloth over the drain!).

The beach location was indeed superb. Personally, I had a slight preference to Viento del Mar - a 2nd story room we stayed in last year. GREAT large deck with a super view of the sea. Not quite as spectacularly beach-front as Amor Eterno, but much newer and more nicely finished.

I seriously doubt that rooms are switched if a firm, clear booking is made. Sure, they might goof up a few times a year, but it's certainly not the norm, and they seemed to have a very clear and well laid out reservation book when we were there and extended our stay on the fly by 2 days.

Overall, we really enjoyed it. It's not cheap... but in keeping with the other nicer places around the beach area.

We only did trips on our own to town and to Akumal - just arranged those on the fly with a cabbie. NVR will indeed help you line up excursions if you'd like.

Poolesville...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about NVR

Thanks guys, good info:) i feel better already and will book asap.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about NVR

If you want to take a trip into the biosphere I would make the reservations direct with the organisation. Some hotels charge about 10 dollars per person extra for making reservations. We did the canal tour and it was great. Emailing them was easy: http://cesiak.org/

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about NVR

Hi

I stay at Nueva Vida de Ramiro every 4 months. I have traveled to Tulum 30 times since 1991-This is my favorite location in Tulum. I have stayed in La Ola also. I like Magico Amancer or upstairs. The Corazon Area of Nueva Vida is also very nice. This hotel is sitting on 41 acres and it's beach is huge-so very private-for me it's the perfect beach vacation-I have been to beaches all over the world and always return to this place-I lived in Hawaii. Casa Banana is the restaurant on the property-so you have everything that a Tulum vacation can offer. It's simple beauty without the BIG Resort feeling. The bungalow across from Magico Amancer looks very nice-they all are unique and simply charming.

If you need something Casa Banana will charge it to your room-they also bring whatever you might need to your room-I enjoy eating breakfast on my deck in the morning and lunch on the beach under my umbrella. The beach set up is great-each room has a private set up on the beach waiting for you after breakfast in the morning-table, beach bed with pillow, two chairs-just bring your beach bag and move right in for the day. There is always someone in sight of a hand wave if you need something. I always feel that I am home when I stay at Nueva Vida and always return-I like it simple and friendly.

Enjoy your trip and just talk to the staff-they are very helpful.

Please feel free to ask me more detailed questions.

tbfairfield@aol.com

pa
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about NVR

we loved nvr. please speak with the nvr manager regarding a mayan-run tour company (can't remember the name!) to take a tour of lesser-known ruins, go boating through a river, go life-rafting down a current in same river (so relaxing!), and do a jungle hike; this also included lunch and snack. it was wonderful and so worth it. we felt good "giving back" to the mayan community. i'll post again if i can remember the name of the tour company, but as stated previously, the manager highly recommended it. we were very impressed with tulum and nvr.

Poolesville...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about NVR

Thanks for the tips guys! TB- thank you for your kind offer- you may be sorry! ( i ask lots of questions ;). We are going to book this week- i just started emailing NV, so hopefully we'll have a rezzie shortly!!

Westport
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about NVR

Although you are in process of reserving, I thought I'd chime in too! We took our very first trip to Tulum this past May, we had requested Horizonte Perdido. We ended up in Zona de Corozon, #24 Extasis. The hotel did contact us ahead to tell us Horizonte had been booked already. We were VERY happy with #24 and with NVR, so much so we are returning to be married there and bringing 24 guests, all staying at NVR.

I have analyzed the heck out of these rooms and also Roger gave us tour of the whole resort so we got to see many of the rooms.

I will try not to get long winded but here are things to think about:

When you go in May the warmer season is just starting.... you WILL want to sleep with your doors open every night, trust me. It is amazing having the warm ocean breeze as your air conditioner. With that in mind, will you be comfortable with open doors right on the beach in La Ola? I don't believe people will see directly into your room but it's definitely more private staying on a 2nd floor. (which is what we did) Our guests all immediately booked 11, 12, and 14 right up front there. None of them care so maybe you will not either.

The other things I'd note are that the Palapa roofs are so very cool and really add to the charm and feeling of the place, I'd highly recommend making sure you get a room with one.

As for feel of room, if you are good with rustic, La Ola is very much so. There is a palm tree in the shower! For us, it was a bit TOO rustic, and while the palm tree is cool, we decided it would lose its charm after a couple days. There are rooms with tile floors and cement walls as opposed to the wood for people who are less rustic. Our room had a combo of both which was perfect for us.

Horizonte Perdido claims the best view from its balcony in the whole resort just because of where it sits. It deserves consideration.

There are rooms that boast ocean view from the shower, ours was one of those. I HIGHLY recommend that. There is something amazing about it.

They are beyond helpful if you want to book tours or sightseeing- we took an Alltournative tour set up by them. It was fun but if you are looking for a little more freedom with your day and choosing how to spend it, we've just book an Edventure tour for our wedding guests. Their site is www.edventure.com. They are quite responsive and will come get you right at NVR. That's not to slight anything with regard to NVR, as I said they are beyond helpful.

We are headed back down in Oct to wedding plan and again next April to wed. Let us know if we can answer anything or check anything out for you!

Poolesville...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about NVR

Hey guys- just a follow up.... we got our rezzie! mid may in Ola. Just what we wanted!! thank you guys so much for all your advice. We will start looking onto tours next, and your advice has been very helpful. I would also like to add that You guys were totally right, the reservations process was easy and very professional. I am planning on starting a topic mentioning how easy the process was as i seem not to be the only one that questioned the process. everyone- thank you so much for the room descriptions, they were very helpful. We decided on Ola because we love the rustic feel and want to be right on the beach. Also i made my husband check out the rooms online by himself and tell me what he wanted, and we both said Ola without conferencing on it ;)

Westy-congrats on the upcoming wedding!!!!