We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum

My husband and I are planning a last minute honeymoon to Tulum over the holidays (Dec. 21 - 31st). We are looking for a nice place to stay that's a bit off the beaten path, but that offers a restaurant and clean rooms with private bathrooms. We would love to be beachfront, but I think we are starting to run out of options, I am having a bit of trouble finding places with rooms available here on these search engines. We cannot really spend more than $200 a night, and would love to spend less. Can anyone recommend a place that we should look?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum

you may want to tweek your expectations a bit. Tulum is off the grid so some places dont have electricity at night or only have ceiling fans. a few have generators and have AC but they are rare. most have solar and turbine geberated electricity. the tulum beach is fabulous, enjoy. have you reviewed the hotels link on this site?

Edited: 31 October 2010, 20:16
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum

How many places have you checked? And which? Have you checked OmTulum, LuvTulum, Playa Mambo, Hamaca Loca, Posada Lamar, Retiro Maya, Tita Tulum, Puerta del Cielo, Coco Cabanas (this last doesn't have private baths, but they're nice shared baths)? These are all places with reasonable rates where you might find something even over the holidays. Reach out to them directly rather than through booking agencies; you'll likely get better (or more flexible) response. The places I mentioned are all among the more reasonably-priced on the beach, though the rooms you get might not be fully beachfront, it's just a few steps down, and at the time of year the heat won't be so much of a issue.

You may be also able to find availability by changing rooms mid-week (at the same place), an option probably only available if you actually write to them by e-mail.

If you want a booking agency with more lower-end options, try the hotelstulum.com site. Haven't been there in a while, but they always seemed to have a good variety of choices.

Oh, and congrats on your marriage, and good luck in your search! You already know it's the highest possible season, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Edited: 01 November 2010, 00:28
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,896 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum

Would highly recommend Nueva Vida de Ramiro. We stayed in 3 assorted rooms there and were very pleased overall. Nice clean rooms, excellent quiet beach, good restaurant -- and several other excellent bars/restaurants within a 5-15 min walk.

2 top picks of the rooms are Viento del Mar - a 2nd floor room with a nice view and large balcony. And Amor Eterno - a rustic thatch roof cabana right on the beach. Both are in the $200 range - including a nice continental breakfast of fruit, OJ, coffee and toast/jam.... all fresh.

Here's their site:

http://tulumnv.com/en/rates.html

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,565 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum

Since many Tulum hotels are small independant places, they may not pop up on a search engine. But...your biggest challenge will be finding avail since it's the highest of high season.

It would help to know who you have contacted so far so we can direct you better.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum

At Nueva Vida, the only rooms under $200 for Xmas season are the ones back by the road (Coral and Lirio). They're really cute, and in December shouldn't be too hot, and you're only sleeping there, but if you want beachfront, these aren't that.

I love Nueva Vida, it's a fabulous property, just their prices have been going up and up these past few years. If you could find availability and could scrape together another $25 per night, the beachfront cabanas such as Alma del Mar would be really romantic.

I really do think you'll find a place, but it's going to take some work and patience!

Edited: 01 November 2010, 14:54
Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum

Another option might be La Selva Mariposa (The Jungle Butterfly). It is located in Macario Gomez about 15 miles from the ocean front just off the main Tulum-Coba highway. Easy trip to the beach (rental car necessary). It is a charming location tucked away in the jungle with boutique style rooms. The owners are American and great hosts. It's worth looking into for something different and you won't be paying $200 a night. I don't know the Christmas rates, but am pretty sure a couple can stay there for less than that. Try this link: www.laselvamariposa.com

Edited: 01 November 2010, 15:01
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum

congrats on your upcoming marriage. Where ever you land, you will love Tulum. Its magic!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum

Oh yes, I've always wanted to stay at La Selva Mariposa, sounds so beautiful!

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum

The problem with your request is that the time you wish to go is the Highest of the high season and often booked a year in advance-Nueva Vida most likely will not be an option at $200 a day and not on the beach-try it , send them an e-mail and see what they might be able to offer you. Co Co does not have private baths unless you can get the tower and I think at that time it's over $200 a day.

Try La Zebra also- good luck.

Thomas Brown

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum

I just heard about a beautiful new place on the jungle side of the beach road called Vida Silvestre. The poster (on Tulum.Info) said there wasn't a website yet but posted this link for info: www.playaparadiserentals.com/portalAction.do…

I recall that La Zebra also has a set of cabanas on the beach side of the road that are really lovely and share a pool.

Let us know which places you've checked and where you stand now and we can throw some more ideas at you. :-)

Oh, did I mention Xamach Dos? They're down in the biosphere, not close to town at all, but the food is great, the rooms are very comfortable (imported US pillowtop mattresses) and the whole place is very friendly. Only I think four units. Not sure what he charges at Xmas, but worth taking a look.