We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

I was looking this Sian Ka'an + saw some interesting tours/trips they are offering.

http://www.visitsiankaan.com/mayan-canal.html

But then I saw that there are crocodiles! So I am a bit nervous/worried about when they say "floating in the crystal clear spring waters of the Mayan Canal (40minutes)"...

I mean, what if the crocodiles also happend to be at the same area...?

Or doesn't the crocodiles like to swim in the spring water canal?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

No worries about the crocs. It would be very bad business for tour companies to allow people to float around with crocodiles or alligators!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

I have done the float twice - it is fabulous and no crocadiles. I think that they live in another part of the lagoon. And behave.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

Our guide made a lot of jokes about crocodiles but like beachreader said, they won't take tourists up there if it wouldn't be safe!

We used www.cesiak.org by the way for our tour and were very happy with them. Book them or the other one directly and not through your hotel because the hotels charge more than the companies do!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

We took the Cesiak tour for a second time less than a week ago. Our guide made it very clear that the crocs stick to the brackish salt water where they can hide better. Your float will be in the fresh water part of the canal.

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

Well it has not been a problem yet-although it could happen in the future.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

sometimes crocs don't read the fine print of the contracts....

Covington, Louisiana
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

We've done the float twice and would do it again but that being said there ARE crocodlie slides in the area of the float. The crocs are very well fed in the preserve and have never had any incident or even been seen while on the floats (according to the guides we used) but they do live in that area and they are not aware of the "fine print of the contracts" (lol). The floats are largely around the mangroves and the slides were more in the grassier areas so maybe they are not as prevalent in the floating area but I do think it is something you should be aware of. It is not the US and people are still allowed to enjoy things that include some level of risk. I am sure if there were an crocs who didn't disappear when people were around they might rethink the tour or relocate the crocs but they are all over the preserve.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

Just wanted to say thank you for observing: " It is not the US and people are still allowed to enjoy things that include some level of risk."

I think if folks are informed and aware then the activity should be their choice.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 18:16
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

After all it is a wildlife preserve, not a people preserve.

10. Re: Sian Ka'an-> Swimming + crocodiles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2011, 06:22