We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying in Mexico....

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Buying in Mexico....

I was wondering, how much money to bring on our trip...First time in Mexico so I don't know how much things cost. Not sure how far peso's will get me. I know this might sound silly but "How much does a t-shirt cost ?" If I knew this it would definatly help me figure out how far the peso's will get me....Any feedback is appreciated...THANKS...

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying in Mexico....

Fair question, but much depends on where you're buying said t-shirt. If you're going to be at a big resort, expect to pay resort prices for stuff in the shops. If you're shopping for a t-shirt in the Tulum pueblo, it will likely be a bit more expensive than if you were buying it up in Playa del Carmen (volume rules in retail).

I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a t-shirt down there, but I'd guess it was $12 US or so?

A beer can run from 15-20 pesos in town to 25-30 on the beach road, if that helps (assuming an exchange rate of 12/1, that's $1.25-2.50 US).

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying in Mexico....

T-shirts in the Tulum pueblo were in the $5-15 range. Good universal beer currency yardstick above by BR! :)

I found food in the San Francisco market prices to be similar to what we pay here in the US. Tequila however was ~60-70% the US prices... like $10 per 750ml of Jose. Restaurants however were a bargain... like 2/3 the US prices for higher-end beach restaurants (incl wine prices), and very cheap quick food in the pueblo like $3-4pp grilled chicken w/ tortillas & slaw at Pollo Bronco (our fav!).

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,860 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying in Mexico....

Not sure how much a t-shirt ocsts either - I'm going to guess about the same as Beachreader, but maybe less once you barter them down. One thing that is super expensive in the area is sunblock - it's about twice the price (or more) than what you pay in the US...even at the local grocery store it's pricey.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying in Mexico....

I wouldn't worry about how much money to bring. There are plenty of ATMs in Mexico to withdraw your funds in pesos as needed on your trip.

5. Re: Buying in Mexico....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 05:20