We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

I was targeting my search towards the Maroma Beach area..the beaches have been top-rated in the world..but it seems over run with high-dollar AI's!!

Quite honestly, searching though all the mega resorts and cookie cutter hotels in PDC has left me disenchanted.

But then..we stumble upon Tulum..the unique, beautiful seclusion appeals to both my husband and I. Could it be the utopia we have dreamed about?

Any advice would be so appreciated:

1. The beach...white sand..techni-colored turquoise. LOVE IT!! But is it rocky?Is it only pretty to look at..or can you go for a swim?

2. The resorts. Have found 2 that really appeal. Villa Las Estrellas and Ana y Jose. What can I say? We like the option of electricity :0) Any thoughts on either? Ana's..I'm guessing..is more expensive..there's not a single price listed on their website. In my experience...no price listed generally means it's waayyy out of our budget.(max of $300/nt). Planning on traveling in Oct or Nov timeframe.

3. Spa? We are massage junkies. Any options on the stretch of beach?

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Villa Las Estrellas
Villa Las Estrellas
290 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

I guess your dream is about to come true....Villas Las Estrellas has a smidge of a better beach than Ana y Jose (although barely noticable). Prices for AyJ are still listed on locogringo.com.

AyJ has a good spa with American prices - into about the $2/minute range. We have a contact who can come to your hotel and give you a great massage for less than most of the spas. Send me a private message if you want her email.

Water entry is good everywhere except in the Punta Piedra area (around Copal to Maya Tulum) the water entry is rocky.

Mentioned in this post
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
407 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Restaurante Las Estrellas
Restaurante Las Estrellas
401 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

Are there options for water activities such as wave runners...how about parasailing? Looks like the huge resort,Dreams, has these type of options for their guests...but does anyone know if that is an exclusive usage?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

Dreams is up in Tankah and probably only for their guests unless you buy a day pass.

The reason Tulum is what it is is because there are no waverunners or parasailing. If you want these activities, you are better off staying up where it is more developed with the all-inclusives all around.

Mentioned in this post
Tankah
Tankah
98 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

If you are looking for a unique secluded Utopia why would you want to fire up a waverunner and ruin it for everyone within earshot? Those things are noisy and you can hear them miles away.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

Ummm...I certainly didn't mean that I'm looking for constant excitement and noise(Had no idea wave runners are noisy..we've never been on them or around them)....we are definitely looking for a quiet Utopia, hence Tulum being such a perfect idea...but since we plan on a full week we would like to venture out one day for activities we've never done before. I mentioned Dreams because it's listed as Tulum..figured maybe we could get taxi,etc?? Also looked into Hidden Worlds..again just looking for activities we've never experienced. If we take a shuttle from Cancun airport..what's the estimated trip time to Tulum? I've seen 1hr...but also 3hrs??

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

There is a kiteboarding school in Tulum.

"Cookie cutter hotels in PDC"

Not sure I understand what you mean here. There are many unique boutique hotels in PDC (only 2 AI resorts in town, the rest are outside of PDC itself in Playacar and all along the coast).

Las Palapas

Shangri La

La Tortuga

Quinta Palmera

Luna Blue

Playa Maya

Magic Blue

Hacienda Paradise

And probably 100 more.

However, if you want less tourists and more quiet, Tulum is probably the place for you. I love them both but choose Tulum for our wedding and start of our honeymoon.

FYI- lots of area info can be found on the left and right sides of the forums (Traveler's articles on the left for activities and Top Questions on the right). Reviews for kiteboarding, massages, cenotes y mas in Tulum.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
198 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
2,472 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playa Maya
Playa Maya
673 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
744 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

There are all kinds of novel activities to try in the Tulum area - visit the Tulum Mayan ruin, climb a Mayan pyramid at Coba, swim in one of a dozen cenotes, try kite surfing - there are a couple of places on the beach that give lessons. You expore the Sian Ka'an bioshere with a naturalist or by kayak. But please not waverunners in Tulum. So many wonderful natural things to expolre3 & enjoy. lost of massage & yoga classes also. And some xcellent food!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

BTW Maroma Resort and Spa is NON-AI $$$$$ and there are villas for rent on Maroma beach.

Personally I think the beaches in Tulum are better. The Travel Channel has all kinds of criteria for rating beaches-Maroma does win for softer sand over Tulum. Maybe I had high expectations for Maroma after all the years of hearing about it. Nothing wrong with the beach but Tulum is just as good (but don't tell people :)

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

A direct transfer will be about 2 hours.

Around Tulum, there are many things to do/see that do not involve wave runner type activites. If you'd like wave runners, might as well stay in Cancun or PDC.

Also be aware that even though your hotel may have 24 hr elec, that does not mean a/c or hairdryers. Each hotel supplies their own elec via solar/wind/generator. Ana y Jose may be able to handle a hairdryer and they do have a/c. But Villa las Estrellas, you will blow out all the power for the hotel if you use a hairdryer....and they have fans only.

Activities unique to the area: ruins (Tulum, Coba, Muyil), Sian Kaan (get a boat tour or kayak tour), cenotes (Dos Ojos), wildlife preserves (Punta Laguna). You can contact Edventure, iTour or Manzano to put together an itinerary based on your likes.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 16:48
Mentioned in this post
Muyil
Muyil
291 Reviews
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Edventure Tours
Edventure Tours
1,617 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oh what a beautiful daydream....could it be?

please no waver runners in Tulum or parasailing. Just enjoy the fabulous mellow vibe. Its a hippy town with lots of Europeans and is mui chill. Get there now as they are planning an international airport and things might be changing soon. It is hard to accurately describe the beauty of the crystal turquoise water and the peace of an afternoon in the shade of the cocao palm. I know....its like a dream come true.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico