We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best exchange rate

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
best exchange rate

DH says that we should get our USD exchanged at the airport for a better rate. I say just let the ATM splurge out pesos at us. What say the experts?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,788 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best exchange rate

ATM. Assumes no outrageous ATM fees by your bank.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,997 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best exchange rate

I always thought the airport had the worst exchange rate while ATMs have the best exchange rate....and that includes the fees.

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best exchange rate

Hello-

I would use the ATM machines in Tulum. There is one located at the bank near the

San Francisco grocery store on the strip at the north edge of town-near the beach road-or there are a couple others in town-don't use the airport exchange unless you like giving money away.

Thomas

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best exchange rate

ATM at the airport gives a fine rate, no different than the ATMs in Tulum.

Check with your ATM bank at home and see if they have any relationships with any Mexican banks. I'm with Bank of America, and when I use Santender machines (which are the ones at the airport and in the bus station in Tulum), I pay no fees, either ATM fees or exchange fees. That saves me a fair bit each trip to the machine.

The worst rates will be exchanging cash at the cambios, but it's not horribly worse anymore. I think maybe 11-1, where the ATM last week was 12-1.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best exchange rate

Just got back so I am answering my own post. The best rates in Tulum are at the Scotia Bank on Ave Tulum about six blocks down from the main intersection on the ocean side. You REALLY need to have pesos on you at all times for all your needs. Dollars and credit cards just don't work. So plan out your spending and get pesos or you have to come back downtown every day.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best exchange rate

leaf-did you go right into the bank and exchange? what was the rate, we are leaving in two weeks!

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best exchange rate

Use your ATM card for the best rate.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best exchange rate

yes, right to the bank which also features rockin' air conditioning and you can easily park on the side street. Don't recall the rate...too fuzzy now.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best exchange rate

Did you compare that bank rate to the ATM rates? Just curious, since I've always found ATMs to give the best rates (though you don't find out exactly what the rate was until you get home and see your bank statement, so comparing rates takes some effort).

Houston
Level Contributor
93 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best exchange rate

ATMS are nearly always your best bet because you are getting the same exchange rate as the banks, not individuals. If you cash out a fairly large amount at one time, the fees are negligible. Getting cash every day can eat you up in fees.

The most convenient thing for me has always been to hit the ATM at the airport. I get enough so that I can stock up on supplies at the San Francisco market, and to get me through a couple of days, at least, without having to go to the bank again. Often I get enough cash at one time to last me through the trip. Also, by picking up some cash at the airport I'll have some on hand if I want to stop in PDC for lunch.