We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
382 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

Going on a whirlwind tour through the Yucatan and am passing Tulum for a couple of nights, with just one full day. Is it necessary/a good idea to go to Coba that one day?

We'll be going to Uxmal, Palenque, Chichen Itza and the ruins in the Kohunlich area so it's not like we're going to miss out on Mayan stuff. (Goes without saying we're going to check out the ruins in Tulum. Yes, I've heard how crowded and commercial it is...)

That said, we don't think we'll be renting a car (expensive: about $70/day with complete insurance coverage) so the effort and time spent in going to Coba would be substantial relative to the little time we have in Tulum.

Thanks again for any advice.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
382 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

P.S. We don't intend on climbing any temples (fear of heights).

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

Well...I'm going to say yes. Only because you can rent a bicycle at Coba and cruise through the jungle and visit the various areas which are wide spread and some still covered in jungle.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

He needs some serious beach downtime after all the traveling so far and ruins he has seen, normally I would agree with pepper.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

That's an EXCELLENT point, 55!!! I agree!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

I also agree with the pure beach day. I wouldn't even bother with the Tulum ruins. I mean, with Uxmal and Palenque and the others already on the list, and no interest in climbing the pyramid, I think there's a real risk of ruin overload.

Stay on the beach, enjoy the day, do nothing for one full day. Give it a try!

If you do decide to do the Tulum ruins, get there in time for the 8 a.m. opening and you'll be through and done in two hours, back on the beach to relax for the rest of the day. The ruins themselves are not commercial at all, it's the parking lot/market area that's a crazy mess, and that's avoidable too, by going in the side entrance at the north end of the beach road.

By the way, where are you getting a rate of $90 for insurance-inclusive rentals? I usually get around $40/day from Easyway or Continental/Cancun/America.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
382 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

Had asked Continental and the quote was $193 for 3 days, all in. Also got an "instant" online quote from Easyway for a 2 day rental, one-way from Playa del Carnen to Tulum for around $80 which I thought was reasonable but only to receive an email that there were "no card available" for my dates. My immediate reaction was that they thought better than to give a rental at such a price. No cars available????? Give me a break.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

I have heard of car rental prices fluctuating as hotel prices do depending on the season. When are you traveling, alamosf?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
382 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

It'd be the last week of March...

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

What car are you looking for? $193 from Continental for three days works out to $64/day, which is still expensive, but not as bad as $90/day.

I just checked three days in late March and found the small Chevy automatic comes to $40+ per day for three days, pick up in CUN, drop in Tulum.

So of course rates will vary on the type of car you want.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
382 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One full day only in Tulum: day trip to Coba necessary?

I just found it curious that they emailed me that no cars were available after I filled the form out online (cancuncarrental.com) and got a quite for about $80 for 2 days, one-way from Playa to Tulum... maybe they decided it was too cheap?