We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum ruins/tulum questions

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum ruins/tulum questions

I will be in Cancun this coming week for a wedding, I have decided to rent a car and drive to Tulum for the day (so excited for this part of the trip). I have a couple of questions:

How long does it take to get to the ruins, I have hear 1 1/2 hours is this correct?

Since I want to swim at the beach, should I wear me suit, is there a place to change into it?

I have heard about a side entrance, where do I park to use that?

Bringing 2 kids, 8 and 18, Is there must do activity? (The 8 yo will be happy with anything, but the 18yo does not like to swim--I know)

Thank you!

Dawn

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum ruins/tulum questions

drive to the san francisco market and hang a left, go down to the Y and hang a left down the beach road. you will come to a road block, park your car and walk in. the walk is short to the entrance to the ruins. its about a 1 hour and 45 minute drive or so. try to get there early to beat the tours. the swimming is below the ruins and you probably need to wear your swim suit, i dont think there are any showers but i may be wrong on that. the only activities are the ruins, swimming and the vendors.

Scotland
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum ruins/tulum questions

I seem to remember there were washrooms on the left hand side just before the entrance (and after we got off the train). You could change into your bathing suit here then back into dry clothes when you leave the site.

The Tulum ruins are signposted so you should be ok. We parked without any problem, bought our tickets and a guide at a booth near the car park then took the train shuttle from the car park to the entrance but there were people walking. I´m glad we got the train as it was pretty hot that day (it was August!). Take a hat as there isn´t much shade.

After the ruins you could head into Tulum, take the next road to the left (at the traffic lights) and head towards the beach. Follow the curve to the right and keep going till you see somewhere you want to stop. This road leads to some of the beach cabañas where there are a few bars and restaurants if you are in need of refreshment!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum ruins/tulum questions

I cannot stress strongly enough to be there right at 8 AM when the ruins open. It is delightful to stroll around with the place to yourselves with your guide at your side at least for half an hour. You can travel back in time and see it as the Mayans experienced it. Within half an hour tour buses start filling the parking lot and the place becomes a zoo. The ruin is very small and they are people everywhere. I might suggest with teenagers a better trip might be to Coba which is about one hour west of Tulum. You rent mountain bikes and ride between the various ruins. It is much more fun and active. The same holds true, about arriving around 9 AM as the place starts getting overwhelmed by tour buses by 10:30 or so. If you go absolutely rent the bikes or a tri-cycle with a guide as the distances between ruins is great and it is too hot and sticky to walk that far. Have fun!

4. Re: Tulum ruins/tulum questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 18:17