We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage

St. Catharines
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Luggage

I am travelling to Tulum Mar 4th with Sunquest on SkyService. I know that I am allowed 2 bags @ 20kg total. Does this include sports bags (scuba/snorkeling gear)? I will only be taking one bag under the weight allowed but scuba gear can get heavy.

I have heard that with some air companies you do not have to pay for sports equipment.

Calgary
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage

Although I have not traveled with SkyService in about 3 years I know they were pretty strict with the weight allowed.

Your carry on is allowed to be 11 lbs and check in I believe is 44 pounds (can't remember for sure) but I know they will weigh it and you will be charged for going over. This restriction was for the total, so if it includes scuba gear then it will be part of the total.

Even if your carry on is over they will not let you take it on. We are going in march and I will be stuffing carryon stuff into my jacket (like bottled water) to keep the weight of my knapsack down.

Langley, B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage

Check out Skyservice's website - I believe there is no charge for golf clubs and scuba gear - you will be required to purchase a special bag ($5.00) for equipment/bag to go in. Also, if it's only snorkel equipment, say it's "scuba" as there is no "free" pass for snorkel equipment! As far as carry-on goes, last year I was over the weight limit (all luggage) and was instructed by Skyservice to take items out of my carry-on and put them in my husbands carry-on and my very large "purse" - think this may have been for better weight distribution. Enjoy your trip.

Calgary
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage

Hey yy4u

I believe you might of posted somewhere else that you got a reply back from Skyservice?

Anyway, I checked their website and not sure if I can post the link here but the basic things you are asking are as follows:

What can I take?

Free baggage allowance varies with some destinations. As a rule, each passenger is allowed a maximum of two pieces of checked luggage, the combined weight of both pieces not to exceed 20 kg (44 lbs). Please refer to your airline ticket for your exact baggage allowance.

Carry On

In accordance with the Transport Canada Carry on Baggage Program, each passenger is permitted only one piece in the cabin and this may be no larger than 9" x 16" x 20" and weigh no more than 5 kgs.

and some good news (and wow, don't be over on the check in or carry on, high cost per Kilo)

Scuba Equipment No Charge Air tank must be completely emptied. Pressure guage must be protected. Skyservice suggests a waiting period of at least 24 hours between the last dive and flight check-in time. It is however, the sole responsibility of the individual to determine what pre-flight waiting period following their dive is safest for them.

This is good news for me as well, I think I should be able to pack our snorkel stuff into one bag and not have to count that in the other weight (no way am I hauling my tank down there!!)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage

I was on another site and several people reported that they had packed their snorkel equipment and claimed it as sport gear- I guess they fudged the truth about snorkelling vs scuba. Anyway, one person even put in their water shoes. No problems and no charge.

Cool- because I'm totally going to be over weight on luggage without it.