We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum or Akumal (or both)

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
minneapolis
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum or Akumal (or both)

We have like 3 days to kill on the way to Belize. Couple late 20's early 30's looking to relax but not be too bored. (we have aleary been to cancun, isla, and playa many times) Would anyone recommend Akumal or Tulum - one over the other? Or are both must see? We really only have 3 nights 2 days, then have to get the ADO to Chetuaml to get to Belize keys.

TIA for any adice or suggestions on how to best spend our time

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum or Akumal (or both)

If it was me, I would stop off to snorkel in Akamal Bay and stay in Tulum for 3 nights. Visit Coba ruins & the Sian Ka'an biosphere (boat trip) and enjoy the beach.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum or Akumal (or both)

Snorkling at Akumal Bay in my opinion is a must do!!! And don't forget lunch at Lol Ha!! Then I would also try to get Tulum in as well :) The ruins are amazing.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,038 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum or Akumal (or both)

Depends on what you're looking for. Akumal has some excellent snorkeling and decent beaches. Tulum has excellent ruins and a superb beach. Not much snorkeling though, unless you're comfortable swimming 100-200 years out. Personally, we found Tulum to be one of the most peaceful and beautiful beach vacation places we've been.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum or Akumal (or both)

I'd rather stay in Tulum. See if this helps:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150813-i155-k4192…

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum or Akumal (or both)

They both have terrific beaches, depends on what you are looking for.

Advantages to Akumal besides the great snorkeling is that the town is right there, no need to take a cab into town like you do in Tulum, also most of the hotels and condos have AC which is a must for me in May.

Advntages to Tulum is the beaches are maybe prettier and you can walk a long way if you wanted to and there is a bus station in Tulum pueblo. There are a lot more restaurants in the pueblo as well in all price ranges but if you are staying on the beach it will cost you $4-5 to go into town.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum or Akumal (or both)

I agree with most repliers.

Akumal may be great for snorkeling (you get to see turtles for sure!) but as it goes to spend the night or a few nights I´d prefer Tulum by far.

Beaches are way better and there´s a lot more things to do...

Enjoy!

7. Re: Tulum or Akumal (or both)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 01:17