We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone calls and electric outlets

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Phone calls and electric outlets

I am staying at bpt in Feb. How difficult and expensive is it to make calls back to the states? Do I need some type of adapter for the outlets to plug my laptop and chargers in?

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
937 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone calls and electric outlets

What has been reccomended for outlets is to bring a short extension cord from home as the outlets are recessed so a, for example, hairdryer plug would fit, but a flat charger type would not, so you would use the extension cord.

Cheers,

Kathy

Baltimore
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone calls and electric outlets

Unless you activate the international call option on your cell phone, the least expensive method for calling the states is a phone card. Buy them in Mexico just about anywhere. Avoid the pay phones and the hotel phones, unless you have an emergency. These phones cost anywhere from $1-5 a minute, plus add-on fees and taxes. A five minute phone call could easily cost $25-40. Keep in mind that only tourists use these phones, not locals. Mexico has electrical outlets like the US. Oh and one more thing...Leave the laptop at home. You're on vacation! Enjoy!

East Grand Forks...
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone calls and electric outlets

I recently talked to some one who stayed at the Freedom Paradise and they had there family members call the resorts 800 number. There was no charge for this. We will be staying at the Freedom at the end of Feb and looking forward to it!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
937 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone calls and electric outlets

BPT is the only resort I know of that has these recessed outlets that make it difficult to plug in your adapters, for say a digital camera or cell phone... what was reccomended to me was an extention cord from home.

I agree, leave the laptop at home... there is internet at the resort if you MUST have a "computer fix"... and if you are staying at the Club Diamond then you have free access to the internet...

Cheers,

Kathy

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone calls and electric outlets

In the rooms they have funky looking outlets that are multi purpose to accomodate both North American and European appliances, so they work for both. I avoided making any calls home.