We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rogersville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

What are your favorite traditional Mayan dishes? I'm talking about foods or dishes, not necessarily favorite restaurants. Are there some not-to-be-missed or speciality dishes we should try while in Tulum and surrounding area?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

One of the most unique ingredients I've tried, though I'm not actually sure if it's Mayan (could be from a culture closer to the center of the county) is huitlacoche, a black corn fungus that is delicious, like truffles.

One of the most "local" fish preparations is "tikin-xic" ("tikin-sheek"), a baked dish with peppers and onions, wow.

Cochinita pibil is another local preparation, this one for pork, marinated in adobe, slow-cooked in a pit (well, authentically in a pit, I suppose a lot of places do it in an oven). There's also often "pollo pibil", chicken done the same way. If you don't find this on your restaurant menu, you can get it as takeout in the pueblo.

Mostly, local food in Tulum is all about the fish, the fresher the better, fried, grilled, steamed, baked, marinated as ceviche, however.

Enjoy!

Edited: 11 April 2011, 00:39
Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

I'm a sucker for any tender animal parts that are smeared with achiote paste, wrapped in banana leaves, cooked in a pit "pibil-style" for several hours then served with fresh maiz tortillas, limon wedges and cold bottles of Superior.

Mmmmmm.....

I think I could actually live on that particular diet!!

V'Crawlers

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

Fresh ceviche ! - the conch is excellent.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,563 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

Las Estrellas at La Luna has a dip called Xuiclapax ( I know I spelled it wrong!) - mostly pumpkin seeds...it's good.

Edited: 11 April 2011, 14:54
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

Pepper, I just looked it up in my pictures, it's Xikilpax, so you were close.

Looks like baby poo, but so delicious!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

Not Mayan, but Yucatecan:

salbutes and panuchos - dont miss these!

sopa de lima (aka tortilla soup)

one of my favorite Mexican food items not specific to the region, but you can get them everywhere - chilaquiles! Mainly a breakfast food, but you'll see them on menus for other meals. I like the green sauce, but they're just as good with the red.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

Papadzules (has a pumpkin sauce) - not sure if anyplace in Tulum has these but if anyone knows, please let me know? Thanks.

Also can live half my stay off of ceviche.

Rogersville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

Thank you all so much. I'm salivating as I read. I intend to try as many of your suggestions as possible. :)

Maryville, TN
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

The Xikilpax at Las Estrellas is out of this world. I can't find any recipe reference anywhere on the entire web. We ate this delight along with a huge bowl of guacamole every day on our beach bed. (

Thank you Ruben!!!

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling All Foodies--Favorite Mayan Foods?

There's a taco cart just south of the traffic circle closest to 307 (left off the main road as you are going into Tulum) that serves Cochinita Pibil tacos and tortas. Very good, the salsa verde is very good too but watch the habanero sauce unless you are up to it. Fiery hot.

I don't believe that they are open at night so lunch or early afternoon. They are open on Saturdays as well.