We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car past paved road

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car past paved road

I read that the paved road ends near Zamas (I think). Anyone have comments on the condition of the road past that point? We'll be renting a car and I'm pretty sure rental car companies specifically state you can't take the car off paved roads, but is this a mere technicality (paved/unpaved) or does the road significantly worsen?

Thanks

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,101 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car past paved road

We always rent a car and always drive it on the unpaved road. Nobody has ever asked us anything about it. We always buy the extra insurance - yes...it does really add up, but if there is a problem, we are covered.

The condition of the road varies depending if there has been a recent rain. I know that into Sian Kaan, the road was impassable after the affects of Ivan. But all is good now.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car past paved road

Thanks Pepper. That's good to hear. You're not the first to recommend the additional insurance; but I keep thinking to myself that the insurance offered by the platinum MasterCard should be adequate. Any comments as to why people may disagree with this?

O

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,101 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car past paved road

There is something about credit card insurance not working well, but I can't remember exactly what it is. Something like...you have to come up with actual cash and get reimbursed by your credit card? There is some type of catch....because you are in Mexico.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car past paved road

Regarding the Credit card insurance. I have Mastercard Platinum Plus and when I spoke with them they said that I should decline the insurance and if I were to get in accident/stolen/etc. that I just need to contact them and they would cover the costs.

They made it clear that the coverage is only given if I decline the insurance offered by the rental car agency.

Curious if anyone has first hand experience with this?

ottawa, Ont
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car past paved road

Yes, I've read the fine print re: credit carde insurance--take it and decline all others or it may disqualify the credit card's

USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car past paved road

My MasterCard provides Collision Damage Waiver, however it does not provide liability coverage to others (vehicles, property, personal). Liability coverage is only $5 USD per day. The MasterCard policy also states that no coverage is provided for damages incurred while driving off of paved surfaces. The road to Punta Allen is anything but paved, but oh what an adventure. Just be cautious and you should have no trouble. Go "pass a good time". I will be in Tulum May 4 -11, let's pass a good time @ Cabanas Copal.

london
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car past paved road

Just got back from Tulum and can confirm the partial dirt road ( you are correct about it starting from Zamas ) is passable even for a non 4wheel car at least 20+ Kms into the reserve.

Rain would change this dramatically

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car past paved road

KAndy,

Thanks. That's information is what I've got from Mastercard as well. I intend to decline the CDW and only take the liability as well. I will risk it for the drive from Tulum to the cabana as I suspect even the rental car agency CDW does not include "off-road" driving as well.

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car past paved road

Those dirt roads are one of the reasons why we are renting a Jeep wrangler for our week long trip to tulum in 8 days! the $100 extra for the week rental to upgrade to a 4x4 will be well worth it! We cant wait!

MN
Level Contributor
325 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car past paved road

No first hand experience in Mexico, but what I've heard from a few people is that if you are in an accident and tell them that you have insurance through your CC company they'll say that's very nice and as soon as we receive payment from them we'll let you out of the klink.

I'm not at all a fan of paying for all of the extra insurance and in fact don't, but thought some might be interested in this.