We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

Hi All -

Planning a quick trip to Mexico (leaving in 1 week) and am a bit overwhelmed with all of the hotel choices.

I live in NYC and am a true urbanite - therefore im looking for a bit of luxury (wth A/C) in the hear of Tulum. I did find Jashita which looks gorgeous, just worried it may be a bit secluded and is on the bay which may not be ideal.

Also, to rent a car or not?

All suggestions are welcome...need to book ASAP!!

Thank you.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

tulum is off grid so electricity is solar or wind with a few having generators. most turn off electricity about 10 or 11. there are a few with AC which you can find quickly in the tulum forum. car rental or transfer/taxis will work just depends on your needs and how adventuresome you are.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

do a tulum AC search and you will find plenty of info on the few that have it but tulum is really about eco chic, the place is not like cancun at all.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

Wow, that Jashita is gorgeous! Pricey though, and being up in Soliman Bay you'd really want a car to come into Tulum for restaurants and such. There are one or two restaurants in Soliman, but I don't know much about the area other than that it's not the big ocean beach of Tulum. Of course, being a bay makes it much better for snorkeling, and I know a lot of people who love it up there; I'm just a fan of the open waters of Tulum.

I assume you have done your research (as Katzgar recommended), and you'll see the two most luxurious hotels on the Tulum beach with air-conditioning are Ana y Jose and the new BeTulum. AyJ is more centrally located, but Be is newer and a bit hipper. Fewer of Be's rooms have ocean views, though, so if you decide on them, be prepared that only the highest-priced rooms will give you a view--though I will say that their garden-view rooms are kind of cool if you like being surrounded by lush greenery, and the rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows that make you feel like you're living in a terrarium. Kind of dark, but kind of cool too. Crazy expensive IMHO, though.

I personally don't care for a/c when I'm staying right smack on the beach, prefer to have the windows open for the sea breezes, but that's your choice.

Since you're going in turtle season, please be aware that there shouldn't be lights on the beach at night, including white flashlights, because it disturbs the mamas and confuses the babies. If you bring a flashlight (as you should), try to find one with a red lens or tie some red cellophane over the lens. Full moon is next week, though (the 17th), so you may not need a flashlight on the beach at all!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,025 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

Here, you can see Jashita on Soliman Bay (it is not in Tulum like it's name suggests). www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/P4200106a-t.html

Compare that with Be Tulum : locogringo.com/maps/tour/P4200058a2-t.html

And AyJ: locogringo.com/maps/tour/P4200063a2-t.html

Along Tulum's beach, you will have lots of small hotels - many have restaurants. Soliman Bay has 2 restaurants as far as I know.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

Thanks Pepper...great links, that's really helpful.

Edinburg, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

There are plenty of places to stay in Soliman which have AC. Depending of the size of your party you can choose from a complete house to a modern bungalow. Check VRBO Riviera Maya Soliman Bay.

The beach is gorgeous.

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

Anna y Jose-

8. Re: Looking for a bit of luxury on the beach with A/C!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 06:19