We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

My husband and I plan to spend a few days in Playa in Oct. or Nov. and may also go to Tulum for a few days. We are on a modest budget but it is an anniversary trip so we do want it to be special. Can anyone recommend a couple of places to start looking at? Something clean and nice on the beach with breakfast included if possible. We’re trying to stay with Non-AI also.

Prefer A/C and a pool and about $130 or less if possible.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,508 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

You won't find much a/c, nor pools in Tulum. It's an area of eco-friendly little cabana hotels.

There are a handful of pools, but only the two most expensive places on the beach have both a/c and pools (like double or triple your budget, sorry).

In the $130 price range with a pool I can only think of a few places: Las Ranitas, otherwise one of the more expensive hotels, has a couple of garden units (i.e., not quite beachfront) that are quite nice for that kind of price. I don't think they include breakfast, though. Puerta del Cielo has some inexpensive beach cabanas and a little pool, but you'll have to write to them for price and availability. Ask about breakfast. I stayed in one of those cabanas and they're very nice. Not a lot of room inside, but the bathrooms are very cool and the bed was comfortable (and a king bed, if I remember right).

There's another hotel that I don't know much about, Parayso (different from the north end beach club El Paraiso). They have a pool and used to have a/c but I think they stopped the a/c. Not sure of their rates and don't know anyone who's stayed there recently.

If you can do without a pool, the possibilities open up a bit even in your modest price range. A rustic (but clean) beachfront cabana at Nueva Vida is $130 plus 14% Tax but includes breakfast and the most amazing view from your private porch. Tita Tulum includes tax but not breakfast and has very reasonable rates, below your budget.

If you really think you must have a/c, the only place that might even possibly be in your budget is Los Lirios, and I'm not sure about their rates lately, I think they've gone up. Worth looking into if a/c is a dealbreaker for you, though.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

If you can deal w/o a/c (settle for fans) and no pool - also look at La Conchita. They have very nice rates, super clean, and includes a very full breakfast (also includes tax!...which is 14%).

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

You can probably find what you are looking for in Tulum Pueblo in that price range. Beachreader & Pepper are experts on the beach hotels., which are somewhat more expensive and don't have Ac, most don't have pools either.

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

You could try Anna y Jose-it has a pool-but is costly- as for A/C Tulum is off the grid-as the ladies have mentioned it is Eco Friendly and that is the charm of this wonderful gem. If you stay in town-it's HOT and not fun-stay on the beach.

My favorite is Nueva Vida de Ramiro-no A/C and no pool-but a beautiful place to relax. Las Ranitas has small pools and La Zebra has a pool on the jungle side-not much breeze and a lot of bugs during the evening-who's for dinner.

If NVR interests you I am a regular guest and I enjoy helping people with information. There are NO AI's in Tulum- north is Dreams Resort-not in Tulum.

Enjoy

Thomas A. Brown

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

Check out Cabanas Tulum. No pool yet (I believe one is being built for their new hotel next door, The Beach, which is scheduled to open in November) but they have A/C 8pm to 8am. Should fit into your price range.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,508 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

Ah yes, I forgot that new part of Cabanas Tulum should be open by then. That would be a good choice if it fits the OP's budget.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

Thank you everyone for all of your help! This is really helping me.

beachreader-wow lots of great information on the area and the hotel suggestions. I appreciate that. I didn't know that it was mostly like that...good to know. I would still love to go there even if we can't find A/C or a pool. Maybe we can find a small pool and deal without the AC- I know I can..I'll work on the hubby and look the hotels you mentioned.

pepper-I will check out La Conchita also, thank you!

Mimac- I couldn't find Tulum Pueblo :( does it maybe have another name?

Thomas-I saw Ana y Jose-looks beautiful! I don't think we can afford it though. The other 3 hotel sugesstions look nice too. I will look into all of them.

cancunm0m-Will look at Cabanas Tulum..sounds great so far! Thank you!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,508 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

Pueblo is just the word for "town". Since the beach and town areas of Tulum are so separated (several kilometers apart), we think of them separately. There are quite a few lovely and inexpensive hotels in town if you're willing to give up waking up to the sun and crashing waves every morning. There are great restaurants in town as well and they're often much less expensive than the beach restaurants, so it's just a choice people make.

TA doesn't separate beach hotels from town/pueblo hotels, so you just have to investigate all the hotels in the area and figure out which ones are on the beach or not. It's usually pretty evident by price and the pictures.

If you're spending part of your time in Playa, have you picked your hotel there yet? The folks at Tortuga are managing Cabanas Tulum, and they will have a new, romantic section open by November. I would go to the Tortuga website in Playa, or friend them on Facebook and look at their specials. I know that one of their specials involves staying a few days in Playa and a few days in Tulum at their properties. Their Playa property is not on the beach but gets great reviews all around (and they have a pool).

Definitely something for you to look at. Maybe combining the two towns with the same company will get you a good price break!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

beachreader - again, thank you for all the info! You've been very helpful. We have not yet chosen our hotel in Playa yet, but La Tortuga is one of our top choices. I will inquire about any specials they have for both locations. And so far Cabanas Tulum is pretty high on our Tulum list also. It seems to fit the bill and is very reasonable for the Fall. In addition to Las Ranitas, we just started looking at Mezzanine, La Zebra and El Pez also. So far, the beach does seem nicer at Cabanas and La Zebra though.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,508 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on Hotels in Tulum

If beach is a priority, Cabanas Tulum, La Zebra and Las Ranitas all have great ones. Las Ranitas' would be the least populated of the three, but it's really just one long stretch of gorgeous beach. Mezzanine is an amazing property but up on a cliff, stairs down to the beach. There isn't any beach furniture down there but of course you can sit on a towel--all of their very nice furniture is up on the cliff and the views are incredible. Once you get down to the beach, it's very nice. Great restaurant, too, with a fun 2/1 margarita special all afternoon in fun flavors. El Pez is also an amazing building with beautiful rooms, but the least appealing beach (to me) of the group you mention. Still, it's walking distance to many great restaurants and shops.