We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

Fort Lauderdale...
3 posts
Save Topic
Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

We will be stopping at Cozumel for a day during our cruise and are considering visiting the Tulum Mayan ruins. It'll be at the end of August. I've been reading reviews and everybody says it gets REALLY HOT and there is no shade. We would really like to go but are concerned about our daughter. We will have to bring our stroller as she is a very big and heavy 2 yr old. So I'd like to get some opinions as to wheather it would be worth it at this point to take the 1.5 hr ride there (45 min ferry and 45 min bus ride) or if maybe we should consider saving this destination for later.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

It gets very hot there, It could be an ordeal with a 2 yr. old & stroller.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,669 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

You also need to find out of the site is suitable for a stroller.

As for the heat, the stroller probably has shade. Add in misting the kidlet with cool water may make it acceptable.

Edited: 22 July 2011, 15:34
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

If you have the larged-wheeled, jogging type stroller, you may be ok but if you've got a collapsible one, you'll find that the paths are not especially stroller friendly in some spots (especially the part up towards the cliff's edge).

August in Mexico is very hot and humid everywhere and Tulum is no exception. And it's true, there's very limited shade at Tulum.

I guess you need to weigh up how much YOU want to see the ruins and whether or not it's worth schlepping your daughter there on this trip because, as I'm sure you're aware, your daughter won't remember the trip either way and a visit to Tulum certainly won't provide her with any amusement at all.

I'm wondering if just spending the day at one of Cozumel's beautiful beaches might not be a lot more fun for your daughter and less aggravation (and expense!) for you.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

The potential saving grace at the Tulum ruins is the ocean breeze. There is very little shade but the breeze blows in off the water to some degree most of the time and you can cool off in the ocean without leaving the site. I would consider Llisa's broader question though about how much you want to see the ruins and whether you want to commit 3 or 4 hours return and waiting time transitting to and from Coz. For some people there would be nothing better than to see the countryside, ruins and maybe explore PDC or Tulum Pueblo or beach before going back to Coz. Others might wish they had just found a nice beach on Coz and chilled.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

I've traveled to the area since my youngest was 3 months old and have done various ruins at various ages. Considering the travel time to and from Coz and then boarding a bus in PDC to travel to Tulum Ruins - I would say no.

The paths at the ruins are like a crushed gravel - difficult to manuever a stroller. And then the stairs to get down to the beach might be an issue - you'll probably have to carry her.

I agree with Llisa - find a nice beach on Coz and enjoy your day.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

Ditto on the "no it's not worth it on this particular trip" line.

It would be a long schlep to get there, very hot and crowded once you're there (since you won't be there right at opening at 8 a.m.), etc. I think it would be a real drag on your vacation.

There are small ruins on Cozumel, maybe you can rent a Jeep at the dock and just head out and explore Coz a bit on your own?

I'd wait for a future vacation, when your daughter is able to walk on her own and maybe even appreciate some of what she's seeing, to do the ruins.

Maryland
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

No, I work with little ones and there is no way you or your baby would enjoy such an activity. As others have said it's hot dusty and a long ride to get there. Strollers may not even be allowed. Please don't take the baby out in that situation.

idaho
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

I was just there last month and it is HOT. The waves were high so the beach was closed off so there was no cooling off in the water either. And there is nothing a 2 year old would enjoy seeing. Might be better to just enjoy Cozumel.

Fort Lauderdale...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

Thank you all so much. We definitely crossed that off our list! There will be other times, and maybe also at a time when is not as hot! We will try to find something around Cozumel. Thanks again!

Maryland
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum Ruins with a 2 yr old?

For the last couple of days it has been hot as heck with temps feeling like 115 degrees, there is no way my kids stepped foot outside.So fare they have counted 22 people dead from this heat.