We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

If we are taking the bus or collectivo to the ruins, can we get off right at the ruins, or do we go to Tulum town first?

Is it possible to walk from the drop off point to the ruins, approximately how long is it?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

Good question. I have heard that some ADO buses may stop at the ruins entrance area. If not the colectivos will.

Even if you go to the Tulum bus station, that would be a cheap taxi ride to the ruins.

Yes you can walk from the highway stop to the entrance. It is maybe a block.

Consider buying a tram ticket to get from the entrance area to the ruins entrance.

Look at maps #1 and #3 here

www.cancunhotellocator.com/tulum_hotels.html

Edited: 03 December 2011, 18:40
Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

Every ADO bus arriving to Tulum from Playa del Carmen that I've ever been on will stop first in front of the ruins of Tulum before going onward to the main bus terminal. A colectivo will drop you off anywhere you wish. If you want to walk from the drop-off point to the entrance to the ruins themselves, it will take you less than 10 minutes to do so.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

Ask for the stop at the sign that says "zona arqueologica". It's the light before the intersection that says "Boca Paila" to the left and "Coba" to the right. This is where the town of Tulum pueblo starts. So if you get to town you've gone too far. At the bus stop you still have a fair hike, since the ruins are over on the coast.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

Thanks all! It looks close to 1km from the map. Are there taxis if we decide not to walk after getting off the bus?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

I have never been on an ADO first class bus that stopped anywhere other than the ADO terminal in the center of Tulum.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

don't try to walk from the busstation to the ruins, it is really too far and too hot. we did it once and regretted it!

canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

We just came back from Playa Del Carmen and did our own trip to Talum. Our bus did not stop at the ruins even though we were told it would. No big deal though a taxi was only 50pesos to the ruins.

When you get dropped off on the road into the ruins, you will see a stand whose signage indicates "info" and "guides" and "tickets" - keep walking this is not where you buy the tickets. Walk 5 min to the entrance where you actually do purchase tickets. Now - you may want to hire a private guide at this initial booth, or you can walk the ruins yourself. Go EARLY. We took the 7:20 am bus to the ruins and were walking around by 8:30. Early it was lovely and uncrowded. The later it got the more crowded it got. On our way out there was hoardes of people and tour busses coming in. Some tours had 30 people crowded around one guide.

When we purchased our ADO bus tickets in Playa we bought return tickets. The return portion was an open ticket (no set bus time) and this caused huge confusion on the trip home. Too many details to go into but suffice to say. if I was to do this trip again I would buy a one way ticket to Talum and then when coming home get a one way home on the next bus available.

Have something to eat accross from the bus station at Panchos Grill.

One final caveat - some tour companies, as you are about to go into the ruins will tell you there is a mandatory $4.00 camera fee. This is not true. There is a fee for video cameras NOT for taking pictures.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

I went to the Tulum ruins by ADO bus and the bus did stopped right at the ruins stop. It was the 10am bus that I took, and the majority of people got off at the ruins. I believe only the morning buses shown on the board do.

On return, i took a colectivo back to PDC at 30 pesos. It is much faster than having to wait for the ADO bus. The colectivo stop is next to the ADO bus stop, right in front of the restaurant on the street that leads to the ruins. The colectivo filled up so quickly that I saw 2 left for PDC before I finished my lunch! The seat was comfy but air cond was a bit weak in the van that I took.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

As I said, I have never been on an ADO bus that makes a ruins stop and I have been on many. It could be that ADO runs a few special buses from their 5th av. terminal. I dont know--I never use that terminal.

Good advice from stewnet. No reason to ever buy a roundtrip ADO ticket unless you know the exactl schedule you want to use on the return. It saves no money and only causes confusion.

Illinois
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins, where to get off?

What is the current cost to get into the ruins? Can you pay in dollars or is it peso only?