We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

After reading the new reviews of Anna y Jose it appears there is a huge problem-large increase in price and less services-not good ratings on food either-I have mentioned before that Tulum is hitting that LIMIT on pricing and it appears they have done that. Very sad. I enjoyed staying at this hotel many times and now with a new owner and over a 30% increase in price-they are heading for trouble-many of the hotels in Tulum are hitting the peak-in this economy even the rich are not stupid-pay more and get less-UMMMM - NO Another hotel hitting this is La Zebra-Be Tulum to mention a few. From my personal experience there is a ceiling-it is Tulum and not a 5 star resort area. For those prices one can do a 4- to 5 star hotel and expect much more than many of these hotels can offer- greed is the problem. It's so sad.

Thank you

Thomas A. Brown

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

I think you are on to something. We stayed at AyJ about 7 years ago and paid what we thought was a lot - $225 for one of the oceanfront suites. That same room would now cost about $620 for our family....although, now, kids are not allowed in those rooms.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

When we got married at Ana y Jose in 2003 we stayed in the ocean front bungalow for about 100 dollar and something like 150 for the suite above the restaurant.

This was low season (september).In 3 holidays we also stayed in the rooms by the pool for about 60 or 70 dollar I think in the years before 2003.

Same goes for Ocho. They raised their prices by 50% from the first year to the second year.

It is such a pity because airfare from Europe is already a large sum and staying in low budget hotels would make it affordable but with airfare and expensive hotels we just can't afford it anymore.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

New owners at Ana y Jose? That is very interesting. I have noticed in my past few trips to that part of the beach suddenly seeing large groups of people on the beach, as though a busload had magically appeared. And there was a huge party there at night in December. I wonder if these new owners have put a different emphasis on things? Used to be a quiet, high-end, tasteful place. Expensive, but worth it.

If I paid $600/nt and a busload of tourists suddenly trouped onto "my" beach, I would be pretty well pissed.

Sorry, that's a detour from the original point, which is the huge price increases we're seeing on the Tulum beach. I completely agree. With airfares shooting through the roof, some of these hotels are going to find themselves empty if they don't look at the big picture.

PIneville, Ky.
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

Yes, we stayed in Tulum for the first time last year and loved our hotel but the same room is $100 more per night for the same week last year. I think I will have to think of something else since airfare is $200 more.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

Yikes!! What hotel is that?

PIneville, Ky.
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

Villa Las Estrellas. I hesitated to name the hotel because I don't want to give them any negative vibes. We loved staying there, it was our first time out of an AI and we fully intended to be repeat guests this May. I am not sure we can afford it and are looking at other properties.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

I thought May/June were his low season? $200, thought that was about the same as it was last year.

Unless maybe they gave you a discount last year for some reason?

But yes, that is definitely not a cheap place. Really lovely, but pretty much out of my budget already. Sigh. At least I got to stay there twice before that happened!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

Well...dang! I did notice their prices are higher - they had an off season at $150 last year...if I'm remembering correctly.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

Me being a newbie compared to TBF, Pepper & BR. I'm in agreement with you all.

Supply and demand drives prices. Us farmers are full aware of that pricing reality!! I guess if they can't rent the rooms maybe they will revert back to the reasonable pricing. Wouldn't you keep prices moderate to keep hotel capacity 80-100% for the year?

Shoot and rental houses...don't get me started!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anna y Jose-Looks like Trouble

I'd like to give you my opinion on the service under the new owners but I couldn't get a room because everything was booked.