We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum and renting a car?

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum and renting a car?

My family is going to Tulum in June. I was told in the past it was safe to rent a car but over the past year the local police have been pulling over rent cars and shaking tourist down for money. I have been told that it has become really bad over the past few months. Is this true??? Are we better off hiring a driver?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum and renting a car?

Didn't we talk about this at dinner tonight? :-)

For your first time, I think you are making the best choice.

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum and renting a car?

Cracking me up!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum and renting a car?

The local police have been pulling over rental cars for years. The quesion is, how busy do you plan to be? Will you be running around every day? Going to places far away? If so, a rental car is probably best. If you plan to stay close by, you can probably get away with a cab.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
426 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum and renting a car?

Wait, we talked about this during dinner? :-)

Check out this recent thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150813-i155-k5219…

We had no issues, and neither did two other family members who drove for several weeks in the area.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum and renting a car?

We did talk about it, IT. Over delicious Neapolitan pizza. Sarah didn't believe me when I told her I answered questions on TA!! Lol!!

6. Re: Tulum and renting a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2013, 10:23