We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South of the Sian Ka'an

maine
Level Contributor
655 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
South of the Sian Ka'an

For our fourth trip to Quintana Roo, we are considering venturing down towards Mahahual to stay next year... I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any beaches in this area (and the swimming that goes with them) that can match the Tulum beaches. From the research I've been able to do, it looks like it's a lot more flat and shallow... fantastic snorkeling but the beaches don't look like they're much to write home about. Thanks for any advice.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

look at them on gmaps

2. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 April 2012, 16:32
maine
Level Contributor
655 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

Well, I was kind of wondering if anyone had firsthand experience with specific spots to pass along.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

gmaps will only show so much, i agree but it is a place to start.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

The aerial views on LG are good. Have you looked at them?

www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/p1010118a-t.html

I haven't been down that way yet.

Btw - how was your trip? Everything good?

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

While I can't speak from personal experience , what I have learned came from trip reports and other threads and archive searchs or these sites . Trip Advisor Mahajual forum , Loco Gringo forums http://www.locogringo.com/mahahual/ , Tulum info forums http://tulum.info/forum.php , Playa (Del Carmen) info , http://www.playa.info/ , Thorn Tree travel , www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa , and regular google searchs as well as the image only Google search function . If someone has other sources of information please let us know . MissMarleyGirl I would caution you that so many people have every intention of actually making it down there finally next year and then they find themselves enjoying Tulum so much that they fail to make the break down south at all . Let us know if you actually seize the opportunity .

maine
Level Contributor
655 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

Good call on Locogringo, Pepper. Thanks for reminding me to check there! Trip was great... posted a review of the house on flipkey. A few issues but none that stopped us from being thankful we were blessed enough to be at one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Moving on from Tulum could, indeed, be hard! Not sure why we would want to other than wanderlust.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

That's great, Missmarley. Just read the review...sounds like it turned out great (maybe a little wet, but that does happen)!! We contemplate moving from Tulum every now and then and we just can't do it because nothing else is the perfect fit of beach, food, atmosphere.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,286 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

I had a great time in Xcalak, but it is nothing like Tulum. There is some nightlife there if you can connect with the expat community - and the beaches/snorkeling are great. There are enough restaurants to keep you busy for a week, but you might have to repeat.

Majajual would make me nervous because of all the cruise ships docking there. Those people take over the town (and prices for everyone seem to rise) whenever a ship is in.

something you might want to consider - Ambergris Caye in Belize - or one of the quieter cayes if you want more peace and quiet.

suitcaseready.com

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: South of the Sian Ka'an

You said you wanted to "venture" down towards Mahajual - I presume that means you are looking for a little bit of "adventure". Not the real hard core extreme type, but you will definitely need to be a little bit more independent minded than staying in the Tulum area. We stayed at the Mayan Beach Garden Inn, about 25 kms north of Majahual for 12 days last October. You can check out the reviews on tripadvisor or go to the website: http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/

The beach was great and the reef was close to shore so yes the snorkeling was astounding. I would suggest you get a rental car. We spent several days up in the Sian Ka'an where the beaches were amazing. Just be warned that there is nobody there to clean up the trash or rake the sand, nobody to serve you drinks, nobody to sell you trinkets, nobody to wipe your nose - come to think of it there is NOBODY - except you. Just make sure you get back for dinner on time or Marcia (Innkeeper) will send her husband looking for you. Do your research ahead of time and be prepared. It was honestly the 12 most exhilarating and blissful days of my entire life.

Drop Marcia a line if you have any questions - she is the #1 expert on the Costa Maya.

By the way you can spell Majajual any way you want but its always pronounced Ma-ha-who-all.