We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble in Paradise?

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Trouble in Paradise?

I'm looking to travel to Tulum in October and was wondering about overall safety issues. Are robberies on the road and at hotels common?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Oh... I thought you had an article or something.

See here: …state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Robberies on the road? Probably never.

Robberies in hotels? Occasional theft from rooms but no more than in any other country..

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

My family and I walked a deserted road in Tulum early one morning to get to the ruins. Didn't feel unsafe whereas had I been a bunch of places in the US I would have!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,391 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

I would feel safe enough in Tulum but they have had their share of problems. The most recent, the sexual assault of a tourist camping on the beach. With the help of state and Federal police, the man was caught

It was reported the head of the local traffic police had demanded his men get cash from every tourist they stop and give him 200 pesos per stop. He was reported and removed from his position.

The mayor of Tulum just resigned as the state was starting impeachment proceedings against her. Along with the city treasurer, they were apparently living well off the cities money.

They have endured some difficult times but it looks like things are turning around for them. I hope so.

Where is Paradise? I am looking for it.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Just an fyi - I copy/pasted this from Akumal Dive Shop's Facebook page:

The new municipal president of Tulum Martin Cobos Villalobos has given the order not to issue transit fines to tourists visiting the town and instead in case of committing a transit breach to inform and give warnings and above all make sure visitors feel welcome and safe, this due to the fact that tourism represent the main mean of income for everyone in Tulum.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

That is a positive development.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,391 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Yes, a step in the right direction. The vendors and others in Tulum have been through diffficult times and deserve better. I hope the new city leader can really turn things around.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Yes, I think officials are taking tourism very seriously. Recently, Roberto Borge, Governor of Quintana Roo, was in Texas and released this opinion column vowing his assurance for tourist safety in Quintana Roo.

dallasnews.com/opinion/latest-columns/201206…

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

I always feel safe in Tulum-slept on the beach many times. Never had a problem walking on the road and always feel very safe-locals are very nice-even if not in a hotel-simply walking-many good conversations with total strangers on the road-to be honest it's always fun to walk.

10. Re: Trouble in Paradise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 05:16