We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

We are considering renting a house that is in town, Tulum in what I think is a gated community. It was our hope and vision to be on the beach but in my vacation rental searches I can't find a nice place under 5k a week that will accomodate 11 persons--they exist of course, but they are booked. UNLESS...YOU know of something! please do tell. The place in question under consideration rents for 10k for two weeks (Christmas/New Years) but because its in town I feel like the price is pretty crazy high. It's quite nice (Casa Guayaba) but certainly not for the affulent, if you know what I mean, and doesn't include unusual amenities. She is open to negotiation and I wanted to learn if others have a sense of what, currently, the market is doing and what's fair and good on both ends. In an alternate scenario, there are places in Tankah on the water in the same price range. Though not the real beach I want to spend time on, wonderign if I should look harder there because then we'd have a great view even if ended up piling in a rental to head to the beach? How long of a drive is it to a great beach from Tankah, versus in the town of Tulum? Does being in Tankah increase any other opportunities? Would love our compare and contrast scenario. We are a group of 11; five persons 13 to 20 years of age and six persons 40 to 78. thank you!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

You are traveling during the holiday season? Christmas and/or New Year's?

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

Both weeks-- haven't booked it but approx 12/22 or 23 to 1/5

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

WoW!! Ok...that's the highest of high season - when the prices are THE HIGHEST - often two-three-four times the normal rate. That combined with the amount of people you are bringing, I'm not sure you will find what you are looking for in Tulum along the beach as the most affordable places are snatched up very quickly; often a year in advance.

Dos Besos is a house that can accommodate that many people...I'd consider it luxury. Look through locogringo - and you can see what is available during the holiday season right under each villas name, plus how many can sleep there.

www.locogringo.com/dynamic/lodging.cfm…

www.locogringo.com/dynamic/lodging.cfm…

I don't see anything in Tankah on locogringo that has space for your group within price range.

You might ask for the cross streets of Casa Guayaba. And locate it on this map. www.todotulum.com/tulum-mexico-maps.php?map=2 I'm not sure where it is located.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

www.flipkey.com/tulum-villa-rentals/p179853/ Seems like an interesting choice .

Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

We stayed in a villa on Tankah Bay last Christmas and really loved the bay. Our house came with kayaks and the snorkeling was decent. We drove to Tulum daily for dinner and a few times to go to the beach and it only took about 10-15 minutes. The beach in Tulum can be quite windy and surfy. It all comes down to preference.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

Villa Sian Kaan easily accomodates 10--bet you could find a way for 11 to make it work, no problem. We had 7 and more than enough space, two beds went unused and I had a king to myself.

Locogring reps them as well as VRBO. It's right on the main Tulum beach, 5-10 minutes walk to Om and La Zebra. I don't know if it's open for Xmas, but my family loved it!

There are quite a few larger villas down in the Sian Kaan biosphere (Villa Sian Kaan is not that far south). You'll be more or less locked into that villa since it will be a bumpy 10-15-30 minute drive up to the main beach road if you stay down there. But some gorgeous homes down there!

Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

Unfortunately Villa Sian Kaan is booked during your dates and also didn't fit your budget. If it were me I would want to be on the beach even if it meant staying on Tankah or Soliman Bay. Your group is also large--I recommend looking on Logo Gringo and VRBO and seeing what's available on Tulum, Tankah and Soliman and see if you can negotiate with the owner for a reduced rate.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

Ah, they're looking for $10,000 for both weeks together, thought they meant $10k per week.

Hope they've found something perfect by now, possibly a great house in the Sian Kaan, but that would require a car and a fair amount of driving to get into town.

I think, if I were unable to book on the beach in Tulum/Sian Kaan, I would consider moving up to Tankah/Soliman. I've heard great things about some houses up there, even though the beach/water entry aren't quite ideal.

Where do things stand now?

Tulum, Mexico
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

I am http://casaplayamaya.com

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum (in town) or Tankah (bay)?

Playa Maya, are you guys still open for the Christmas/New Year weeks, and in that price range? Be great to know--I've heard wonderful things about your house, so as we head into the fall I'm sure we'll be hearing more questions about holiday bookings.

To the original poster, have you found a place yet?