We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Actual city of Tulum

New Berlin...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Actual city of Tulum

My husband and I will be staying at the Barcelo Maya Tropical Resort. We have been on the tour to the ruins of Tulum, but my husband would like to see the actual city of Tulum. How would we get there? Is there an actual downtown with stores to visit?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Actual city of Tulum

Tulum Pueblo is a town, with stores and restaurants. No "downtown" to speak of. Yet.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Actual city of Tulum

Tulum is about 5 minutes South of the ruins. There are many places to eat and shop there. We have eaten at Don Cafetos and El Camello Jr. I would recommend either. I am sure others will tell you of other great places to eat in the pubelo. I have found some great places to shop. Don't be afraid to go a block or two off of the main drag to shop or eat.

PolloMan

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Actual city of Tulum

The main part of town is situated along the highway 307. You can easily get there via colectivo from your resort. Tulum pueblo is in fact the southern terminus so you'll have to depart. There isn't a ton to see and do in town, but it's fun to explore and there is some excellent food around town as well as good prices on shopping. Then take a taxi to Tulum beach, perhaps on the southern stretch (ask to be taken to Cabanas Tulum or Ziggy Beach). The beach is outrageous, so beautiful, not overly crowded. The accommodations along the beach are neat to look at too, many being eco friendly. Wander and walk north as you swim, eat or drink and stop at random beach clubs or beach bars. When you're tuckered out then grab a taxi back to the 307 to get a colectivo going north. You can definitely spend a half or full day exploring the two areas.

Edited: 26 July 2012, 03:05
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,391 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Actual city of Tulum

look at the maps in www.todotulum.com

I 2nd Skels recommendations to go to Ziggy's , La Zebra, or OM

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Actual city of Tulum

The Tulum Pueblo/town is also a lot of fun in the relative cool of the night as a stand alone destination . Skeleton mentions a very good point , as always it seems to me , in that the colectivo stops in south Tulum on the east side of the service road that paralells the highway . Past this a short walk south is El Camello but they may only serve early supper before closing as many Mexican seafood specialty places seem to . Beyond this on the same side is a newish restaurant offfering traditional Mayan food that has been getting great reviews from travellers familiar with these dishes . Sorry I can't remember the name . The area to the right or east of this station has a lot of typical Mexican shops serving the local population more than tourists but still very cool to experience . A bit of real Mexican life with several city parks , ice cream parlours , clothing for kids , local flower shops , shoes for the ladies ,hardware for the gents , fruiterias and that sort of thing . There are a few truly unique art , craft and jewelry shops and all sorts of restaurants for every budget and taste on service roads on both sides of the highway and several awesome bakeries . There is a small shop midway on the east service road where the proprietor will let you sample a few tequilas or liquors for your take home booze . A fine fellow . Google streetviews are available .The highway is speedbump and police controlled so you can cross easily at any crosswalk . It's a smaller more intimate experience than PDC with a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses . When you are done in town you can return to the terminal , before 9:30 or so , to catch one of the last return colectivos to your base with no hassles . As with PDC you might find yourself having too much fun and then a cab is a reasonable option for later returns . It's a lot of fun and absolutely safe day or night . Please be happy always

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Actual city of Tulum

juanroho said it all! Do check out both the pueblo and the beach.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,902 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Actual city of Tulum

The Mayan restaurant is this:

http://kinichizamal.com/

I'm looking forward to trying it soon.

8. Re: Actual city of Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 10:16