We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to choose where to stay in Tulum

JBS
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to choose where to stay in Tulum

I am just starting my research for a potential spring break trip to Tulum with my family and another family. While I visited once in 2004 I didn't get a sense of the layout of the various beaches and the town.

I'd appreciate some opinions on which area to stay. We'd like to get a house or condo rental so that we have a kitchen. Our children are aged 4-7 and we imagine we'll be spending a ton of time in the water. I gather from a few things I've read that some beaches are nicer than others, some are calmer than others?

In addition to beach time, we'll want to spend time exploring the town of Tulum as well as Cenotes, Akumal, etc.

thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico City
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

Hi JBS,

As you may know, there are no beachfront condos in Tulum. The closest you can get to the beach are the condos at Zama Village/Aldea Zama. There are some luxury house rentals on the southern part of the Tulum beach available for rent. I do own a condo at Zama Village, this is the website in case you wanna take a look at it http://tulumcondorental.com/

There are three areas with condos in Tulum: Aldea Zama (the closest to the beach and the most exclusive), La Veleta area and all the others in the southern part of town (take a look at the link below for a map).

I also keep a Tulum blog with restaurant and beach clubs reviews http://www.tulum-mexico.com/

Take a look at this specific link in my blog to see the options for condo/houses rentals tulum-mexico.com/wp-content/…Slide1.jpg

Condo prices range US$ 700/US$ 2000 per week in the mentioned season. Condos at Zama Village are the most expensive as they tend to be better, especially the penthouse ones.

Best,

Roberto

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,959 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

Great info from Roberto

Here are a few in Tulum and the Sian Kaan section

www.locogringo.com/dynamic/lodging.cfm… - Sian Kaan&type=Villa

www.locogringo.com/dynamic/lodging.cfm… - Sian Kaan&type=Bungalows/Casita

Also look at the Solomon Bay area

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,959 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

Behla Palapita is a possible choice - not sure of your budget

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

There are a number of houses for rent on the Tulum beach, both on the "main" beach (easy access to other restaurants and such) and down in the Sian Kaan biosphere, where you'll find more "villa"-like houses but less access to the beach road hotels.

Check out LocoGringo for villas and just make sure you know the location of the house (you can come here and tell us which house you like and we can tell you where it is--but Locogringo can tell you that too when they tell you availability).

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

We just stayed at Casita Bonita...listed on VRBO. It's a smaller house, but perfect for a family of four. Decent kitchen and two bathrooms - right on the beach which is easy with kids so they can run out to the sand while you are making coffee.... :-)

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

look at the place on gmaps read the reviews and pick one

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

Casa Limon is another house that is great for a family of 4. 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. And you can take advantage of Zulum's happy hour bar which is right next to Limon's beach chairs...plus Zulum will let you swim in the pool.

Lacey, Washington
Level Contributor
179 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

Los Arcos/Oval Villa is a great, economical choice for being right on the beach. It will sleep four. How many kids do you have? There are 2 Qn beds, but a 4 year old could sleep on the couch, which is large. You can find this rental through rentalsyourway (dot) com. There is another home rental next door that we were considering for next year. It's called Sol Y Luna and has 4 large bedrooms and three bathrooms. I found them by Googling the name. It's reasonably priced for a 4 bedroom home. Can't remember how many it sleeps, but you all might be able to share the house. If not, you could rent both and be neighbors. They both have palapas on the beach. They are further south on the beach road where it's quiet, so while you can walk to some restaurants and clubs, others will be too far with kids and you might want to have a car. The beach here is beautiful but can have some good sized waves most days. Happy searching and have a great trip!!

JBS
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

thanks all, this is a place to start.

to answer a question, we each have 4 people in our families, so need either a large rental or two next two each other.

Is the Sian Kaan worth staying in or just visiting? What about Solomon Bay?

many decisions to make here!

J

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to choose where to stay in Tulum

It really depends on how you want to spend your vacation. We like to stay in Tulum where it's easy to walk the beach to find a place to eat (although we rent a house; we are not cooking every meal!). And then if we need to run to the store, the new Chedraui is super easy to get to.

In Sian Kaan, you'll have amazing beaches and a remote location. Not much for restaurants...really nothing depending on where you stay. Groceries will be farther away.

In Soliman Bay, the beach is different. Look at the aerials on Locogringo. The dark stuff near the water's edge is seagrass/turtlegrass. The water is very calm due to the reef. Snorkeling is great here, but playing in the waves doesn't happen. There are two restaurants - basically one on each side of he bay.

Mentioned in this post
Soliman Bay
Soliman Bay
Riviera Maya, Mexico