We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

We are flying into Cancun and need to get to Tulum, just my partner and I ... and neither of us drive! Any ideas!!

Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

You can take the ADO bus, shared transfer, or a private transfer.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,964 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

What Bob said. ADO bus will be your least expensive option. I believe (but am not positive) that you may need to change buses in Playa del Carmen.

A shared transfer will be the mid-priced option. Best Day offers this service - you'll need to pre-book it and you may have to wait at the airport for a few minutes for your van to fill up. You will likely have a stop or two en route (unless you're lucky and everyone in the van is going to Tulum).

The most expensive but also the most convenient option would be a private transfer. FWIW, this is my method of choice and my favourite company is USA Transfers (aka Entertainment Plus) but there are plenty of others; I've used Cancun Valet before and they're excellent too. Again, you need to pre-arrange your transfer. You and your partner will be the only ones in the vehicle, so there will be no stops en route (although your driver will likely offer to stop at a convenience store just outside the airport so you can get drinks and snacks if you want to).

Whichever mode of transportation you use, you need to go OUTSIDE the airport building, in the fresh air to find your driver or the bus. Do not get suckered in by the oh-so-helpful people just past Customs - they're all selling timeshare and will feed you whatever line they think will lure you in.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

just like you do in london....someone else drives

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

Like Llisa, we us USA Transfers. Over the past 18 years we have done all the options. However, after a long trip down our first priority is to get to where we are staying as fast as possible which means private transfer. For us, the extra you pay is worth it.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

You didn't say that you were on a particularly strict budget, so I will definitely recommend the private transfers both ways. The roundtrip cost is around $150 plus tip for both of you, one-way is around $80. I use the transfers at Playa.Info, but USA gets good reviews all around as well.

To me, the speed and ease of the private transfer makes it worth every penny. I've taken the bus and it's fine, but takes twice as long (depending on how long you have to wait in Playa for your connection) and adds a small layer of hassle with the luggage thing.

That extra hour or so on the beach on that first day is valuable to me.

You can always take the bus back to the airport on the northbound leg, that would save some money, but having the transfer come get you at your hotel and load your luggage and not have to get in a taxi to the bus station is also worth some money to me. Figure the bus northbound will cost maybe $15 US per person, that's $30 for the pair of you. For an extra $40 ($20 per person), I think the transfer is worth it.

But if you are on a real budget, the bus is a great way to go.

For getting around Tulum, taxis are frequent and easy to use. Not super cheap ($8 US from the middle of the beach road to the pueblo), but easy and practical.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

About how much extra is it for private transfer as compared to the bus?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,051 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

I cant tell you about private transfers, since I havent used them. But ADO has direct first class buses from the airport to Tulum at 210PM, 745PM and 845PM, Cost is 160 pesos. As mentioned before, many addional connections available with a Playa del Carmen connection.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,060 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

As Robert said, I would do the Ado bus to PDC and or Tulum, then a taxi to the resort/hotel

Where are you staying??

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

Las Palmas Maya, the treetop suite! Very rustic little resort but has wonderful reviews. It's only taken me 29 years but I'm finally making it to the Caribbean for the first time. We'll be there for 7 days and I could not be more excited!

I'll be reading up on more forum topics but any advice is welcome!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling From Cancun to Tulum

I love Las Palmas Maya! Tell Tom I said hi! That's a very nice room, very large and has a beautiful bathroom. He has nice bikes, too, so you can get around more easily, and I think they were setting up some cool new features that you can come back and tell us all about!