We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

Austin, Texas...
8 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

We are getting married in Tulum summer 2013. We want to suggest to guests easy and affordable ways to get to Tulum from the airport. What are the best options? I know there is a commuter bus. Any information on how to get that bus will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,047 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

The best price and most comfortable option is the ADO bus.

www.ticketbus.com.mx

www.ado.com.mx

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

A better option is to have enough people arriving such that they get the per person cost down on a private transfer such as

usa-transfers.com

The ADO bus option can cost more per person and be more time-consuming and stressful.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

Agree with CO. Splitting the cost of a private transfer will be fairly inexpensive and very logistically simple. The ADO bus is changed/transfered in Playa Del Carmen - not a problem for one or two folks, it that's the case, or they're arriving over an extended period of time in small numbers but a group and luggage and wedding nerves and newbies...probably not practical.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

top question to your right

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

Definitely I would recommend private transfers. I prefer those from Playa.Info, just because I've used them so often. Love the drivers, always on time, etc.

The bus is nice and cheap, but if you're talking about more than a couple of people at once, it's actually price-sensible to do the transfer anyway. And for me, it's worth the price difference all the time to get me southbound ASAP! The bus is nice and comfortable and cheap, but southbound you have to change buses in Playa del Carmen, which means dealing with your luggage twice and having a layover. On my first day, going nonstop from airport to Tulum is worth a lot.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

There appears to be an airport to Tulum bus at 210 PM. Unknown is whether it is non-stop.

If not, then you have a bus from the airport to PDC. Then a taxi to the other terminal I believe (maybe not). Then a taxi from Tulum to your hotel.

Do a price comparison between the bus/taxi option and USA Transfers or equivalent for the number of folks who can arrive around the same time.

Plus the convenience/stress factor is immensely less using a private transfer.

I am a big fan of the ADO bus...just not for your situation.

Edited: 17 November 2012, 03:46
Austin, Texas...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

Thank you all for your suggestions!!! I'll just post both suggestions: ADO bus and private transfer to our guests, and let them choose what is more convenient for them! Thanks again!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

When you list the ADO option, excluding a possible airport to Tulum non-stop bus, provide details.

Example:

1) Airport to Playa del Carmen bus. Provide schedule. About $10 USD per person one way.

2) If you have to go to the Alternate bus station to catch a bus to Tulum, add in a taxi. About 20 pesos per taxi. Three minutes or so to the other bus station.

3) ADO bus to Tulum. Provide schedule and cost.

4) Taxi from Tulum bus station to hotel. Provide cost.

Note the multiple handling of luggage and likely concern of newbies to the area about the process.

Private transfer: Load luggage once then remove at hotel. Only stop is if you want to get a beverage.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

All good advice from CO -not just validating him but he's right. Heed and concentrate on the important stuff like whether to offer expenisive faux Champagne or primo Tequila for your wedding toast. I say Tequila!! There are some fruity or creamy or sweet types that'll even appeal to Aunt Pittypat.

Congrats on your wedding day! Do let us know how everything went!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Cancun Airport to Tulum

Cost estimate:

1) USA Transfers. To their Roundtrip prices I added $40 USD for tips ($20 each way). Delete that if you do not tip. Number of people are per private transfer vehicle.

Two people: $185 USD or $92.50 per person

Four people: $230 USD or $57.50 per person

Six people: $230 USD or $38.33 per person

Eight people: $230 USD or $28.75 per person

2) ADO bus and taxis. Assumes two people per taxi. 10 pesos per USD.

Airport to Playa del Carmen (PDC): 120 pesos or $12 USD per person

Taxi to Alternate station: 30 pesos per taxi or 15 pesos/$1.50 USD per person

Bus to Tulum: 66 pesos or $6.60 per person

Taxi to hotel: Guessing 100 pesos per taxi or 50 pesos/$5 USD per person

Total per person ONE WAY is $25.10 or $50.20 USD per person roundtrip

Please verify my math.

Edited: 18 November 2012, 03:01