We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving down to Belize.

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Driving down to Belize.

Hi,

I'm heading over to Tulum for a few weeks in April and was thinking of hiring a car and driving over to Belize for a couple of days.

Have any of you done this recently? was it relatively easy travelling? What is a normal time scale for the journey in a small car if we wanted to stay in a small town in the north of Belize like Corozal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving down to Belize.

Maybe things have changed, but there used to be issues with bringing Mexican rental cars into Belize, and vice versa. I would look into that. If you cant, there are buses. I'm pretty sure there is also a ferry from Chetumal to San Pedro

suitcaseready.com

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving down to Belize.

1. As mentioned, be sure you've got a rental contract that allows you to take the car into Belize. Good luck.

2. Know that you have to surrender your tourist card as you leave Mexico, and it'll cost you about US$25 (M$295?) each for another before you're allowed to fly home from Mexico. This is payable at a bank, not the border. Search "FMM".

2a. Know that the Mexican border official may try to collect M$295 in person, for his own benefit. Search "scam".

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
234 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving down to Belize.

Well I will be taking the ADO Bus down from Tulum to Belize early next year.

I am a Belizean citizen (my wife is not) and we will only be in Mexico for about two days. I think we will be in a different situation.

Do I need this FFM "tourist card"?

Edited: 24 December 2012, 17:30
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving down to Belize.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Corozal, but, it doesn't seem that there is much there for tourists.

I'd consider taking the bus to Chetumal and catching the water taxi to Ambergris for a couple of days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving down to Belize.

I second the comment that there's not much to do in Corozal. That's where a lot of people stay when they're leaving Mexico to renew their tourist visa. I'd plan to go elsewhere. And do check that your rental contract allows you to take the car into Belize.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving down to Belize.

Even if your rental contract does allow you to take the car out of Mexico you will still have to buy seperate Belizean insurance . America car rental will issue you a certificate to allow the car to leave Mexico but those days of Mexican insurance are wasted and you have to pay again for Belizian . The FM3 is issued to all passengers arriving by plane and is almost always included in your flight price . A second one is not as Viajero points out .

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving down to Belize.

Even if your rental contract does allow you to take the car out of Mexico you will still have to buy seperate Belizean insurance . America car rental will issue you a certificate to allow the car to leave Mexico but those days of Mexican insurance are wasted and you have to pay again for Belizian . The FM3 is issued to all passengers arriving by plane and is almost always included in your flight price . A second one is not as Viajero points out .

8. Re: Driving down to Belize.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:15