We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

As the title says,I am here with my wife and our friends.

We are on day four of our two week stay and are getting into the swing of how this fabulous complex of bars.restaurants and pools work.

Please feel free to ask anything you want and we'll do our best to get some kind of answer for you - remember we are 6 hrs behind UK time.

A couple of things so far - we got a referbed high floor room (block 7) as we'd asked for.The room is excellent.

Food at all the restaurants so far is fantastic.

No issues getting top brand drinks- there are loads of bars.

No issues getting sunbeds and loads of places to lie in the sun.

Highlights so far - the Casitas Itlalian - top quality dining.

The lobby Martini bar - great cocktails.

Jo Jo's restuarnt - informal,convenient and great beachside ambiance.

Ask away.......

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

Do they have espresso machines and do they have non alcoholic beverage menu and how is the beach. Thanks so much

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

Espress-Yes ,coffee dispensing machines are at most bars and they do espresso.

The bar staff will make you whatever drink you want including a non alcoholic version of cocktails.

Basically,ask them for recommendations and they will oblige - theya re so friendly.

There is a bar at the side of every restaurant.

They normally open at around 9 -10 am.

Every restaurant so far has had an espresso as an option after dinner.

The beach is fine,particularly in and around Jo Jo's restaurant.

The sand bags (whales) are a little odd but there for a sound eco reason.

The seabed is a little rocky - sea shoes recommended.

Great drinks service on the beach.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 05:29
Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

Steven - thanks so much for your offer of information!

I'm just wondering about the differences between the EDR and Casitas side - as far as I'm aware the only differences should be the quality of the rooms and that Casita guests can book restaurants but some reviews indicate perhaps there's more. EDR guests should be able to use the Casita pools, etc. but have you seen anything to the contrary?

Also - at what stage did you request the block 7 / refurbed room?

Cheers

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

Car- we have had alook at the Casitas and I am glad we didn't book it.

There are a couple of different standards of room,i.e swim ups and villas.

They appear to be grouped in blocks of 6 with access to a small pool with swim up bar.

We went in one yesterday - too quiet,no atmosphere but a nice cocktail in the pool.

Some ( not sure which) Casitas guests can book restaurant reservations- its not an issue though as you go to the restaurant,book in and they give you a pager ,so you go to the bar and have a drink.

EDR guests can use Casitas pools but not any of the sun beds- they have different coloured towels - but we have seen EDR gusests using Casita sun beds.

I am not sure I would do that as Casita guests have paid a lot more money for their trip.

We went to Kamapi last night. This is probably the most popular restaurant and waited an hour in the bar opposite the restaurant.

To some people the waiting is an issue,but what you can do is go and register for a meal,get the pager,then go to your room to get ready.

We have seen a few people do this so it sort of cuts down your waiting time,if you follow me.

At some of the other restaurants and particularly at breakfast they say there is a 25 minute wait time- in reality it is no more than 10 minutes.

The hotel appears less full after the weekend.

Try this email - Email: hhuings@khrreservations.com

It is a lady called Helen Huing

I did this a few months before travelling and followed it up two weeks before we went.

We got the room we wanted.

Keep asking away.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 12:51
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

I had seen a picture of a guy diving into a cenote that he said was on site. Have you walked around the resort and found this?

Level Contributor
8 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

hows the weather? internet says it has been quite rainy and overcast?

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

Shelb - you' ll have to help me out - what is a cenote?

Telly- the weather forecasts are typical of what I normally see when we go to Antigua,Barbados etc - they always say a bit of sun,a bit of rain etc.

So far,4 days in we have had beautiful weather ( despite the forecast). There has been a bit of cloud,but mainly really sunny.

We had one 20 minute blast of daytime rain on Sunday.It has obviously rained during the night but I have been in my Tequilla haze!

The forecast for the next 3 days talks of rain - I' ll see how that pans out for comparison.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 13:14
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

Hi there, thanks for the offer of advice, very nice of you.

Have you been to PDC or Cancun yet? How long did/does it take?

Have you used any taxis to get about? How are they in terms of price

Thanks for any help you can give.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

My understanding is that if an EDR guest is in a Casitas pool bed the Casitas guest can get them to move if its full? I think paying the extra is worth it in the end????

ilovethesun
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: At the El Dorado Royale right now,ask anything you want

This is perfect timing because I am in the midst of trying to choose this resort!

One of my biggest concerns is feeling like a lower class citizen by not booking the casitas section. I'm sure they are nice but I can't justify the cost. So, you CAN go to the pools but just not use the loungers? Is there anywhere else to sit? Beds, tables, etc? We LOVE the idea of total peace and quiet so that appeals so much to us.

What about food? Are you making reservations every night? Have you had problems? Are there any restaurants that have been closed?What kinds of snack type foods are available pool-side? I love nachos or the like with my drinks! :)

Have you been to SMB? That's my only point of comparison.

How would your rate service? Does tipping seem expected? What is the average clientele?

Thanks so much!

angie