We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riding to cenotes?

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
riding to cenotes?

We have just arrived in tulum and are planning to stay a month is an apartment weve rented in town. We are going to get a couple of bicycles to get around to the beach,ruins etc but just wondering if there are cenotes in riding distance? We want to go to some but dont want to have to always go on a tour, am going to do some diving in some in a while bit just want to see some and swim, picnic,etc if there are any close. Thanks.xx

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: riding to cenotes?

There are some small cenotes along the beach road - just look for signs. Each charges a nominal admission. There are more like swimming holes. Along the Coba Rd are more cenotes with more cave like settings. And then up and Hwy 307 are more cenotes, but I don't rec riding a bike on the hwy.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: riding to cenotes?

Perhaps not close but an easy option is taking the colectivo vans north past Akumal to an area called Xpu Ha . Tell the driver Barcelo . There are three inexpensive choices across the highway here , Azul , Cristalino and a little farther off the highway is El Eden . The other two are very short walks off the highway . Entries are 80 pesos or so . If you do this there is a nice beach to check out there or snorkel Akumal or just ride back to Tulum .

There are colectivos to the south as well but I'm less certain about their frequency for the colectivo friendly cenotes down that way . Go to the Muyil ruins , down south for sure .

I even read recently about colectivos going out the Coba road past many other good options but I'm even less sure about their frequency or even their existence .

You will have seen the highways by now and I share Pepper's concern with biking those shoulders , even the winding beach road would require full attention in places . If you find colectivos other than to the north please let us know details .

Some close cenotes near the highways are shown on this map from Pepper .

http://www.tulummaps.com/

Edited: 10 February 2013, 18:28
3. Re: riding to cenotes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 07:16