We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debating renting a car...

Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Debating renting a car...

Would love the freedom...but afraid of the police checks/scams. Has anyone rented lately? What was your experience? Did you rent directly from airport?

Leatherhead, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debating renting a car...

We are in Mexico now and have hired a car and found the driving very easy.We picked the car up at the airport and yes there are plenty of police road blocks but generally they wave the hired cars through and we have only been stopped once which was no problem.Fuel stations were fine and showed you the meter reading was nil and clean your car windows.Buy a good map as sign posts do run outin the towns sometimes.You have to be aware of the topes which are speed bumps at entrance to towns etc.traffic generally fairly light and all the roads have been good.Std of driving also good and police in abundance so you feel safe.Hope this helps

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debating renting a car...

I just got back from Tulum 2 days ago. I have rented a car there at least 6 times and for the most part, no problems. The freedom is wonderful. You can go where and when you want to go. It all depends on what you want to accomplish on your holiday. I just posted my "what to look for when renting" on trip advisor. This trip, I had another problem at a gas station. Very frustrating! You MUST pay close attention to the pump. DO NOT let them distract you! When you pay, be very deliberate with your money. Look up my suggestions on Tripadvisor. Hopefully that will help. The roads are fine and it is easy driving. The police can be a problem (last year I had three issues). Obey the laws and you will be fine. Any other questions about the area or rentals, please feel free to ask....

Big Bear Lake...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Debating renting a car...

What kind of police issues?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,312 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Debating renting a car...

if you speed you get fined

Big Bear Lake...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Debating renting a car...

Ah ok. We'll make sure to drive the speed limit then!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debating renting a car...

They may just stop you, though you feel you are not doing anything wrong. I got stopped three times last year. They may give you'd the option of going to the station to pay the fine, or just paying them on the spot. Each time, the amount was 1500 pesos (approx 125 us). I ended up paying 100 pesos the first time, claiming that was all I had. The next two times I played dumb, frustrating them with the language barrier. I do not believe I did anything wrong. This year, I had no problems. Watch the speed limit and drive by the rules. All should be fine.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Debating renting a car...

I just got back from Tulum on Feb 10th. I stayed in Playa for 5 days but planned a day trip to Tulum. Like you I was hesitant about renting a car after reading so many bad stories about the police. But renting a car was the best option and I wanted the freedom to drive to as many places in Tulum as I wanted. I rented a car in Playa (America Car Rental) and drove to Tulum early in the morning and left right before dark. I had no issues with police and really didn't see any. I rented a Jeep so I assumed this type of vehicle screamed "tourist". I also heard stories about trouble when you get gas. But I just told the gas pump guy "200 pesos, no more" (in Spanish) and handed him 2, 100 pesos bills and made sure he was aware that I knew exactly what I gave him. I also stood outside the car and watched him and made sure the pump was reset to zero before he started. He pumped the gas and we were on our way. So no issues at all. I had originally talked myself out of renting a car but in the end it was worth it. I plan to go back soon and will definitely rent another car. I just comes down to having the freedom to drive anywhere you want but in the end it's your call.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debating renting a car...

If one of these police "issues" comes up (and you are confident you did nothing wrong), is it better to play dumb tourist in English or speak to them in Spanish?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Debating renting a car...

I believe it's better to play dumb tourist in English unless you are completly and totally fluent in Spanish. In fact, I've been told by a gringo who speaks excellent Spanish that he feels it's still better to play dumb in English.

Sand Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Debating renting a car...

We rented a car last winter for a couple of days, and had no problems. We had the car delivered to the Gran Serenis resort, and drove down to Tulum for a night and drove out to Coba and back. I drove the speed limit even when the locals were all speeding by me. We did see quite a few police and even military driving around, but were never stopped. We didn't feel real warm and fuzzy about it, though, and decided to take local transportation this year instead.