We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

We are planning to visit the Tulum area for the first time in mid-May. I have many questions, but the most important is WHERE to stay? We need 2 bedrooms (so my daughter and her friend have some privacy) and hopefully access to kitchen facilities so we don't have to eat out every meal. We need walking distance to beach access, as some of us want to spend a lot of time there and others less so. We are happy to be a bit isolated (no clubbing for the teens or other temptations) and rustic is fine, as long as we don't have to worry about theft.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

¨no clubbing for the teens or other temptations¨

Interesting. I was curious if 2 young adults agreed to quiet, rustic!

Chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

Check out the Villa Shanti at Cabanas La Luna. Right on beach. Huge 2nd floor master. 2nd separate stand alone bedroom only steps away. Full kitchen, dining room, living room, patio. Beautiful views, very private.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

What is your budget per night? That will make all the difference in our recommendations!

Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

Up to $150 or so for the four of us. I'm looking at rental cabinas and such, as they seem more affordable for two bedrooms and a kitchen....I've been on airbnb (which I've had great luck with for other international travel) and vrbo....

Thoughts on Isla Holbox?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

$150 per nite for 4 folks is a tall order anywhere on the beach IMHO. I was going to suggest the 2 bedroom "Casa Mexicana" at nueva Vida.. but that's ~$250sh per nite. (They also have nice hotel-type rooms w/ sea view for ~$100/nite, like "Viento del Mar",) From our considerable looking, Nueva Vida is the best cost-performance place on the beach. There are cheaper places on the jungle side of the road, but too small a cost delta IMO.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

I was going to suggest Casa Limon - it would be the perfect size for your group. But I believe it will be out of price range. Listed on VRBO.

See if Los Arcos or The Oval House is avail. It doesn't have a real bedrooms; just a curtain. Should be listed on VRBO.

Also look at houses in Rancho San Eric. There are some smaller houses that might be in price range.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

$150 for two separate rooms is a tall order in Tulum these days, even in May.

Isla Holbox will give you more options, but I think May is heading into their high season, since Holbox is all about the whale sharks. Maybe May is early for that, though. I went to Holbox a bit over a year ago and we really enjoyed it. Great food, fresh fish all over the place and very reasonable food prices (compared to Tulum). The town is walkable from the beach as well, always a plus. But I missed the turquoise water of Tulum, since Holbox is on the Gulf. Lovely jade water, but very shallow. I need to remember the name of our hotel, Tortugas I think, it was IMO the best hotel on the beach, and I looked at as many others as I could.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

What about the place across the street from om? It's a budget spot and has a kitchen

Las Palmas maya

Edited: 09 April 2013, 03:51
chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

Their rooms are $67 a night

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet, rustic spot for 2 parents and 2 young adults (age 19)

Yes, Las Palmas Maya would be a great choice, they have a cool kitchen area and you use the beach at Om.

I'm sorry, I missed the "walking access to the beach" line, had assumed you wanted to be beachfront. So Las Palmas Maya would be perfect and you can get two separate rooms there. There are other choices along the road, but LPM would be my first choice. They rent nice bikes there too!