We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum town or beach????????

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
12 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum town or beach????????

Hi,

we're planning a trip to Tulum in July and we're just not sure if it's best to stay in town or at the beach. I've done tons and tons or research but just have no idea. There are so many hotels to choose from with such varied price ranges. We're tempted to risk it and come without anything booked as it's low season, what does every one think? Will we get better rates this way? or is it too risky with kids?

We've got a teenager and a 9 year old. Our budget is $230 per night (max) but happy to spend less ;-) We plan to hire a car but only for a few days so we can drive to Chichen Itza and do a little exploring the rest of the time we're happy to use bicycles or taxis.

Are there more bugs and creepy crawlies at the beach (this is a question from my 9 year old)?

Does the beach shut down at nightfall and you're stranded with nothing to do?

The main focus of the holiday is unwinding, relaxing, eating yummy food and spending quality time together.

I'd be really grateful for any insight.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

I would definitely stay at the beach; with your budget you'll have plenty of options, even some with air conditioning.

Look at Cabanas Tulum (nighttime a/c, full breakfast included but the pool is adults-only), Las Ranitas (has a pool), the Garden Suite at Cabanas La Luna (has a/c but no view but a great place), Los Lirios (has a/c and a small pool and full breakfast if not much character), or even Rosa del Viento all the way at the south end of the beach (I believe they have some rooms with three beds).

All of the above will have a low creepy-crawly factor, but no guarantees as far as the occasional beetle-type, and geckos are common everywhere though they don't always show themselves. Crabs and iguanas are common but only outdoors unless you're staying very very rustic (none of the above hotels are what I'd call "rustic").

The Blanca Duna room at Nueva Vida de Ramiro is above your budget at $250 (+14% tax), but has two large bedrooms and two bathrooms.

La Zebra has a few rooms to recommend when they're on special, but the special they're currently running doesn't seem to include July/August, too bad.

Ahau Tulum has Jr. Suites with two queen beds but I'm not sure if July is their low season or not. If not, that's above budget too.

Villa Las Estrellas is gorgeous and the cabanas have three beds and the suites have a king bed and a twin with a trundle underneath it but they charge extra fees for "extra" people in the room. Write to them and see what you can do.

Basically I think there's no reason to stay in town unless you're on a tighter budget; waking up with the sun and hearing the ocean at night is one of the really special things about Tulum. There are plenty of taxis available to go to town if you wish, or you can get bikes.

You might consider getting a small house, having a kitchen will cut your food costs. Cabana Samasati would fit your budget and space needs (no a/c but fans). Or the hotel Azucar has a "family suite" that I think has two queen beds and a little kitchenette.

So many options!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

Oh, and once dinner is done, you probably won't WANT to be doing much but looking for turtles on the beach in July. There is a wonderful exhaustion that hits at the beach; you're often up at dawn because the sun pours through the windows, swimming and romping all day in the sand really takes it out of you, so by dark you may find it hard to stay awake!

Last July I had my family (kids were 16, 13 and 11) and we saw a number of mama turtles at night doing their thing. It was the coolest thing the kids could imagine; only thing better would have been to see some babies hatching, but that's something we'll hope for next time. :-)

Houston
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

I would go with the beach also. There's things to do in the area after dark and lots of restaurant choices.

You might also consider the ruins at Coba as the pyramid is still accessible and it's best explored on rented bikes (which the kids would enjoy).

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

Yes. Stay at the beach.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

How long are you going for? We stayed in Tulum for 3 nights and beach for 11. Found it was nice staying in Tulum on the days we were out seeing other things and really enjoyed the town - especially for restaurants and ability to get to many very easily...but if it is one or the other - with kids would think you would want to be on the beach..and you have the budget to do it...would think a place with A/C at that time of year is a good idea.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
12 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

Thanks for all the great info there are a few places I've not looked at.

We plan to go to tulum beach for 4 or 5 nights. And maybe town for 3. I'm trying to juggle the budget so we stay somewhere a bit cheaper in town so we can spend more at the beach.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

AmsterdamCookie, that is what we do a lot - cost average. If you need any info about town - restaurants to check out, hotels etc am happy to help.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

Have you considered a house? It is so much easier with kids who want to eat at different times, you can have a fridge for drinks that will save money, etc.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
12 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

Yes open to the idea of a house, any suggestions? I just saw the gorgeous casa chic but it's a little over budget!!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum town or beach????????

With a little over a week, I think splitting up the time between town and the beach is a good idea. Another idea (which is probably what I would do) is to split the time between Tulum beach and somewhere else entirely, such as Valladolid. This would give you the opportunity to see a different part of the Yucatan Peninsula. Valladolid is only about a 1.5-2 hour drive from Tulum and is an interesting small city. It is a convienient base for visiting Chichen Itza and Ek Balam. There are also centotes in that area and various small towns to visit. And Valladolid will satisfy your desire to save money on part of the trip so that you can spend more for your time at Tulum beach.

On our recent trip, we visited several places around the Yucatan and ended our trip in Tulum. We averaged USD50/night on lodging and breakfast for 2 for the trip, until Tulum where we spent $178/night for beach-front accomodation. Tulum was completely worth it and I wouldn't have traded that beachfront accomodation, but it was definitely the splurge part of our trip.